cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2007 Information Store not visible

tmelv79
Level 4

Hi,

I recently upgraded from BE 11d to BE 2010 R2 (with all the latest service packs and hotfixes).

Following the upgrade the Exchange 2007 Information Store is no longer visible in the BE selection list. When I expand my Exchange cluster (CCR) name all I see is a shared OAB folder.

I have upgraded successfully the BE Remote Agent on each of the Exchange Server cluster members to the latest version.

Prior to the upgrade there was no problem backing up the Exchange Information Store.

Is there something I need to change following the upgrade?

Both of the Exchange Cluster members are running Exchange 2007 SP1 with update rollup 5 applied.

Any help wouild be much appreciated.

Colin.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sids
Level 4

The Microsoft Exchange 2007 Management Tools are installed on the Backup Exec media server.  The Backup Exec Media Server must have the same version of the Management Tools that is currently installed on the Exchange Server.  This can be achieved by performing a custom installation of the Exchange Service Packs below.

32 bit Media Servers - (Note: Microsoft Windows 2008 x32 was not supported in the original release. The Exchange 2007 Management Tools added support for 32 bit or 64 bit systems after Exchange 2007 SP1 release are Service Pack 1, Service Pack 2 ,Service Pack 3

Note: Service Pack 3 Management Tools must be installed to support Backup Exec Media Servers running on Windows 2008 R2, as Exchange 2007 did not support Windows 2008 R2 prior to this release.)

Also check http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH51740&actp=search&viewlocale=en_U... which is Configuration requirements to backup Exchange 2007..

Sids...

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

RRE
Level 6

HI there ,

Uninstall the Remote Agent from the Exchange 2007 server nodes & push it back. Make sure Exchange management tools should be installed on the media server.

Also check if the system logon a/c has the following permissions

* It should be a part of local & domain admins

* It should have active mailbox & not hidden from GAL

* It should have Exchange organization management & Exchange server administrator rights on the Exchange server

sids
Level 4

Information Store not be available after upgrade because of multiple Reason. Check http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH58430 and Related Doc...

Sids..

tmelv79
Level 4

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I uninstalled the Remote Agent from both Exchange cluster nodes and then re-installed by pushing the install from the Media Server. I then restarted BE services both on the Media Server and on both Exchange nodes but this made no difference.

Yes, the Exchange 2007 Management Tools are installed on the Media Server.

The system logon a/c that we are using was not a member of the local admins on the Media Server  - I have since added it as a local admin but this has made no difference.

It has an active mailbox, is not hidden from the GAL, has Exchange Server Administrator rights on the Exchange Server and is an organization wide View-Only administrator - the same as before the upgrade.

Would you have any more suggestions?

Thanks,

Colin.

RRE
Level 6

Go to tools ------ install options & license keys ---- make a note of all the license keys including Exchange key

Remove all the license keys including exchange & complete the installation.

Once the software is in trial period ----- check if you can see the microsoft IS ---- If yes reinstall the license keys back

tmelv79
Level 4

Hi,

What do you mean by the 'Microsoft IS'?

Colin.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Information Store

tmelv79
Level 4

Apologies - that was obvious! I will try that now ...

tmelv79
Level 4

Hi,

That did not work. Once I removed all of the license keys I still could not view the MS Information Store.

Any more suggestions?

Colin.

sids
Level 4

Add the following registry key on the Backup Exec media server 

Key :HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VirtFile
Type DWORD 
Value: VFF Extended Timeout
set the VFF Extended Timeout to 600 seconds. 
Restart the Backup Exec services and browse the Exchange information store. 

IF MS IS is still not available under backup selection Check the version of mapi32.dll of the Exchange server.
Verify the version is the 64-Bit version using the Dependency Walker tool for each .dll file listed below by making sure it displays "x64" under the CPU column

Files to check:
bedsxchg.dll
bedsxese.dll
bedsmbox.dll

If the 32-Bit version is listed, replace with the 64-Bit version which can be found on the Microsoft Exchange 2007 installation disk or by re-downloading the MAPI/CDO package from Microsoft.

Restart the Remote Agent service on the Exchange server.

Browse selections list again to see if Information Store is now listed

Sids...

tmelv79
Level 4

Hi Sids,

The registry key you mention is already there - 'VFF Extended Timeout'.

I have verified that both bedsxese.dll and bedsmbox.dll are 64-bit versions. I cannot locate the bedsxchg.dll file. Where is it located?

I tried reinstalling MAPI/CDO for Exchange 2007 but this did not work.

Colin.

sids
Level 4

The Microsoft Exchange 2007 Management Tools are installed on the Backup Exec media server.  The Backup Exec Media Server must have the same version of the Management Tools that is currently installed on the Exchange Server.  This can be achieved by performing a custom installation of the Exchange Service Packs below.

32 bit Media Servers - (Note: Microsoft Windows 2008 x32 was not supported in the original release. The Exchange 2007 Management Tools added support for 32 bit or 64 bit systems after Exchange 2007 SP1 release are Service Pack 1, Service Pack 2 ,Service Pack 3

Note: Service Pack 3 Management Tools must be installed to support Backup Exec Media Servers running on Windows 2008 R2, as Exchange 2007 did not support Windows 2008 R2 prior to this release.)

Also check http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH51740&actp=search&viewlocale=en_U... which is Configuration requirements to backup Exchange 2007..

Sids...

tmelv79
Level 4

Hi Sids,

I think I'm getting closer to the cause of the problem.

I have been following this article - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH58430

Point 2 states the following: -

"Debug output for Exchange Remote Agent shows the following:

bedsxchg.dll could not be loaded: The specified module could not be found.
bedsxese.dll could not be loaded: (null) is not a valid Win32 application.
bedsmbox.dll could not be loaded: (null) is not a valid Win32 application.
bedspush.dll could not be loaded: The specified module could not be found.

Confirm .dll files exist in the Backup Exec file path."

I've enabled debugging on the Remote Agent on the Exchange Server.
The log file displays that bedsxchg.dll and and bedspush.dll (along with other dll files cannot be found or loaded)
bedsxese.dll and bedsmbox.dll are loaded successfully.
How and where do I install these .dll files?
I have already tried reinstalling the Remote agent onto the Exchange Servers.
Colin.

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

Hi,

Please restart the BE service and then check the BE login account and the exchange account, make sure that it has got at least domain admin privillege.

HTH

tmelv79
Level 4

Hi,

I have already done all of that. The account has domain priviliges and I have restarted all services.

The exact error is "bedsxchg.dll could not be loaded". how do I load this dll?

Colin.