cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2007 SP1 backup error V-79-57344-766

Chunda
Level 3

Getting the following error when trying to backup on an Exchange 2007 SP1 server, recently migrated from Exchange 2003, and upgraded to 12.5:

V-79-57344-766 - Cannot log on to MAPI with the specified credentials. Review the resource credentials for the job, and then run the job again.

Link to support knowledge base doesn't return any information?

I checked with OWA that I can send/received email using the account specified for backup. Its a member of the administrators group on the exchange server, also a domain admin, and also set as an Exchange administrator.

Installed CDO on Exchange server and tools on local server, permission test seems to work fine, only thing that seems strange is when selecting the server selection fro backup it takes maybe a minute before showing the storage groups for backup.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

23 REPLIES 23

jwenson
Not applicable
We were having the same issue where we were not able to use GRT on exchange 2007 when backing up to tape. (V-79-57344-766 - Cannot log on to MAPI with the specified credentials. Review the resource credentials for the job, and then run the job again.)

Backup Exec 12.5 Sp2 on Server 2003 Standard Sp2
Exchange 2007 Sp1 Enterprise on Server 2008 Sp2 Enterprise

I called support and theses are the steps they had me perform to resolve the issue:

--On Exchange 2007 open registry and browse to the following: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\ESE
--Right click on ESE and select New --> DWORD
--Name the DWORD e2k7_mbox and set the Value Data to 1
--Restart BackupExec Agent Service on Exchange 2007 server (Verify that is is set to run using Local System as the Log On As)
--From within Backup Exec select Tools --> Options --> Microsoft Exchange and Check the box to Enable legacy mailbox support and select OK
--Select Tools --> Backup Exec Services and Restart all services
--Open Backup Selections list and expand exchange 2007 server
--Select Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes (An error about MAPI Permissions should appear)
--Create new Active Directory account with mailbox for use only with backup exec (If you already have as account as we did, delete and recreate.  make sure that there are no other user accounts that share the first 5 letters of the username.). When creating the account make sure the user is a member of the domain admins group.
--Go into Exchange Management Console and add the user as an Exchange Organization Administrator Role (Open Exchange Management Console and select Organization Configuration. Select add and browse for the Backup Exec account just created)
--From within Backup Exec select Tools --> Backup Exec Services --> Services credentials. Check the box to Change service account information and enter in the newly created account info.  Select OK and then restart all backup exec services.
--Open Backup Selections list and expand exchange 2007 server
--Select Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes only this time you should see all the mailboxes within the exchange 2007 server.  (This is the old way backup exec used to backup mailboxes and is only used to test the MAPI access to the exchange 2007 server.)
--On Exchange 2007 open registry and browse to the following: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\ESE
--Delete e2k7_mbox DWORD
--Restart BackupExec Agent Service on Exchange 2007 server
--From within Backup Exec select Tools --> Options --> Microsoft Exchange and uncheck the box to Enable legacy mailbox support and select OK
--Select Tools --> Backup Exec Services and Restart all services
--Open hosts file on Exchange 2007 server (C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\) and create entries for both the exchange and backup exec servers.  There should be two entries for each server (1 with onlye server name and the other using FQDN).  Also the reference to IP v6 should be commented out.  See example below (Where ***.***.***.*** is the actual IP address registered within DNS)...

# Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost
#::1            localhost
127.0.0.1    Exchange Server Name
127.0.0.1    Exchange Server Name.Domain.com
***.***.***.***    Exchange Server Name
***.***.***.***    Exchange Server Name.Domain.com
***.***.***.***    Backup Exec Server Name
***.***.***.***    Backup Exec Server Name.Domain.com

After completing the steps above I was able to use GRT to backup Exchange 2007 mailboxes to tape.

Hopefully this also works for others.

-jwenson

Cudos to Vishal who is the symantec support rep who assisted with the fix.

Jilibili
Not applicable
Jwenson,

I tried all the options and did exactly the way you said in the above post. But still I am getting the MAPI error when selecting the exchange mail boxes. Please help!

Cheers
Jil

Doug_Hotchkis
Level 2
Thanks a lot.  These instructions really helped us.  We did have to tweak them a little as follows:

1. We made the changes to the hosts file first and then restarted the server to ensure all services saw this.
2. We also made the BackupExec account a member of Enterprise Admins.
3. We went through the Logon Account Wizard to change the credentials of the BackupExec logon to the new account.
4. Not sure if we needed to do this but we retarted the server again just to make sure!

Then we were able to access the Exchange Mailboxes without the MAPI permissions error.  Once past that, GRT worked fine.

saucemann
Not applicable
I tried almost eveything mentioned, but the new user account (with rights) solved my problem