cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2007 Strange Information Store Names

BarryMc
Level 3
I'm having a problem backing up my Exchange 2007 Information store.  When I create a new selection list the names for the information store are weird (see attached picture).  I followed this (http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/345619.htm) guide but with no success.  It used to work ok but I can't remember doing anything that would affect this apart from windows/exchange updates.  the main problem is when I select to backup the information store the job always fails:

Backup- jaguar.CTK.LOCAL
V-79-57344-65282 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot provider error (0xE000FF02): One or more of the databases for this storage group are currently dismounted. This backup is incomplete. Make sure that all databases are mounted, and then resubmit the backup job.
Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

V-79-57344-65282 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS). Snapshot provider error (0xE000FF02): One or more of the databases for this storage group are currently dismounted. This backup is incomplete. Make sure that all databases are mounted, and then resubmit the backup job. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Event Log.
Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "PANTHER") (Job: "Jaguar Exchange IS") Jaguar Exchange IS -- The job failed with the following error: One or more of the databases for this storage group are currently dismounted.  This backup is incomplete.  Make sure that all databases are mounted, and then resubmit the backup job.

I've checked the server and the storage groups are mounted.  The Media server and exchange server both have the same version of the management tools.  I've reinstalled the agent again without success.  I can backup other files on the exchange server with no problem, its just the information store.

thanks
12 REPLIES 12

Dev_T
Level 6

If Exchange 2007 on Server 2003, install VSS rollup patch http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940349 REBOOT REQUIRED on the exchange server

BarryMc
Level 3
The Exchange is on Server 2008.  The Backup Exec media server however is on Windows 2003 R2, would I still need the patch?

thanks

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

No in that case you need not to install the patch. On the command prompt on the exchange sever type vssadmin list writers, check if all the writers are stable or not. They all should be stable. Make sure the lates SP and HF for BE is installed and remote agent is also updated.
Also make sure you follow this article correctly and reboot both the servers once.http://support.veritas.com/docs/345619

BarryMc
Level 3
Sorry for the very late reply but i've only just managed to try your suggestion but i'm still having the same problem.  I've been using windows backup with the exchange plugin.  

All the writers are stable and BE is fully up to date, i've followed the guide rebooting both servers and still no luck.

Any other ideas?

thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Barry,

To eliminate an issue with the job/selection list, do you get the same error if you run a manual, new backup of an Information Store?

CraigV
Sorry, and another thing to consider...is your media server fully patched, and have you pushed these patches out to the Exchange server?

BarryMc
Level 3
Thanks for the reply.

I do get the same error message.  I created a job that just backs up the information store and its the same error.  The media and exchange server are fully patched.  I reinstalled the remote agent on the exchange server after updating the media server.  

CraigV
...hit the support flag on this, and hopefully someone from Support can help you.

BarryMc
Level 3
How do I do that?

thanks

CraigV
Sorry Barry...I meant to say I hit the support flag. I did that...let's see if it gets picked up...

BarryMc
Level 3
thanks for your help.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

Barry,

My best suggestion on this would be to call in and open a case so we can collect some additional logs for what's going on.  The only other thing I could suggest would be to upgrade to 2010 R2 which was released earlier this week.