cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2007 back up failures in First Storage Group

kshaw
Level 3
Hi,
Been backing up our Exchange 2007 databases perfectly for the last week - I'm in the process of migrating over and moved all mailboxes on Friday.  Had a back up run both Friday night and at 4am this morning that went perfectly, which is a backup to tape.  This afternoon ran a backup to disk and had the following failures:

Backup- \\Server Name\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group

Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options. The followin...

Backup- \\Server Name\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group
Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options. The followin...

I'm running Backup Exec 11D, I'm up to date on all patches, etc.  I'm also up to date with SP's on my Win2003 Server that is housing Exchange '07.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7

Tom_Vuong
Not applicable
I am also getting similiar errors.

We have Exchange 2007 sp1 installed on Windows 2003 64bit R2 server w sp2 install.  Our backup Exec is installed on Windows 2003 R2 32bit. We have installed the sp1 management console on our BE server.   BE has 7071 w sp2 and hotfix 32-34 installed.

We are able to obtain succesfull backups of our files and sql databases but for exchange we get the following errors:

There are 17gig of data of our information store but a restore does not allow drill down to view and select mail boxes.

Any help is appreciated.

kshaw
Level 3
Tom,
still no solution to this error.  But it seems the only workaround I've found is to back up to tape.  Not ideal in the slightest, but for now it's working with no problem.  Been two weeks (knocking on wood) and no issues.

I created an entirely new seperate back up to tape job, which I'm appending nightly onto another tape.  As I said, so far so good.  I'd rather go back to backing up to disk, but until someone comes up with an answer at least I can run clean Exchange back ups.

Kim

Jerry_Battaglia
Level 4
This occurs because you have to update the Exchange Management Tools on the Backup Exec server to Service Pack 1.

kshaw
Level 3
Jerry,
the management tools were installed and updated before this problem started.  One of the first things I did was go out and check to see if we were missing SP's or updates.

Thanks though!

Debjais
Level 3
Employee
Reason:
The above error is reported if the version of the ESE.DLL on the Backup Exec server is different from the one on the Exchange 2007 server. This occurs in the event that the Exchange 2007 server has been patched to recent updates like Service Packs/ Rollup Patches for Exchange but the same Service Packs/Rollup Patches have not been applied to the Exchange 2007 Management Tools installed on the Backup Exec server.
Solution:
Update the Exchange 2007 Management Tools installed on the Backup Exec server to the same level of patches applied on the Exchange 2007 server. Confirm that the ESE.DLL versions match on both servers

Note: Installing Patches still in BETA Phase on Production servers is not recommended nor supported.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/289970

kshaw
Level 3
I also found that solution when researching the problem.  Both versions of ESE.DLL are the same.

Jerry_Battaglia
Level 4
Im sorry to hear that that didn't work for you. It's always frustrating when the most common fix for a problem doesn't work in your situation. For me, that was the fix, fortunately. If I were in your situation, I think I would completely remove the management tools from the backup server and reinstall them. Failing that, I'd also remove the backup job and recreate it. It's a real pain but worth trying. I remember when I used to use the policies to move B2D jobs to tape they would fail every other week and I'd have to completely recreate the policies.