cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2007 backup fails with Final error: 0xe000fed3

John_Agnew
Level 2
Hello,

I have Backup Exec 11d 7170 with SP1 and all subsequent patches installed on Windows Server 2003 with Sp2 and all subsequent patches. Exchange 2007 has Sp1 installed (though the problem was evident before Sp1 was installed). Backups are failing with the error listed below. When the error occurs the output of "vssadmin list writers" show that the Exchange writer is in a retryable error state.  If I reboot the server, vssadmin shows the Exchange wrtier to be stable, but if I try a backup with Backup Exec the backup fails and the writer is left in a retryable error state.  Backing up /restoring Exchange via NTbackup is fine - that is what I am currnetly using until I get Backup Exec fixed.

Code:
Job ended: 07 December 2007 at 16:33:11Completed status: FailedFinal error: 0xe000fed3 - A failure occurred setting the Component backup status.Final error category: Resource ErrorsFor additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65235

Code:
Backup- \\LAGAN-EXCH-2\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group V-79-57344-65235 - A failure occurred setting the Component backup status.Writer Name: Microsoft Exchange Writer, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Failed during backup complete operation (12).V-79-57344-34110 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\LAGAN-EXCH-2\Microsoft Information Store\Second Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Stable (1).

Any help appreciated.

Message Edited by John Agnew on 12-07-2007 08:48 AM
12 REPLIES 12

JFenger
Level 2
John, did you resolve this issue yet? We are having the same exact problem, even after installing the latest VSS update:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940349

ForrestGump
Level 2
I don't think this VSS update is going to fix the issue permanently. It's going to come back again and the funny thing is Exchange backup is going to fail again in random time intervals. You will come across this if you create a new backup job or run some extra backup jobs on Exchange server. Also it is not going to fail on the same storage group everyday (if you have more than one storage group on one server)
I went through the same steps and did lot of testing on this issue. Also installed the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940349 update. I contacted Microsoft regarding VSS updates (If you look at the real file published date for the kb940349 update, it goes back to 9/25/2007). We did real time monitoring for processors and logfile while backup is running to identify the real cause of this.

Issue
=====
The issue is directly related to Exchange Replication service or LCR(Local cont. Replication) with the VSS. I guess this is something that triggered after the Exchange SP1 upgrade.

Status
======
We escalated this to Microsoft and they did a Lab setup to identify the issue and they are also getting the same error with Backup exec 11d (rel 7170 sp2) on their Test environment. They are working on this issue with their debugging team now (01/09/2008), to find out the bug/fix for this. I am not sure how long this is going to take.

Workaround
==========
Need to stop the MS Exchange Replication service before the backup and start it after the backup.
Easiest way that I found out to do this is use the Pre/Post command section on backup exec and use the NET START/STOP commands

net stop MSExchangeRepl
net start MSExchangeRepl

From Chamath

John_Agnew
Level 2
I worked around the problem by removing my LCR Exchange database copies. At least I can now perform backups. If Symantec/MS fix the oustanding issues with Exchange/VSS/BUE v11 I'll add LCR again.

Backup_Microsof
Not applicable
Hello my friends,

I’ve Backup Exec 11d 7170 and I’ve noticed this problem too, but I’ve stopped the service  "MSExchangeRepl” before running the backup, and restarted it when the backup was ready and the problem did not occur.

Would you please post the Microsoft answer when its done?

Thanks!

ForrestGump
Level 2
Hi,

They are still working on the issue. I will post if they come up with any solution.

Obiter
Not applicable
I'm having the same problem.  This error is definately due to the Exchange 2007 SP 1 update because I have been running the same backup job every night with no errors until I installed the Service Pack.

I will try the workaround and hope that works.

Please let me know when Symantec or Microsoft has fixed this problem.

Writer Name: Microsoft Exchange Writer, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last erro...

AOFO: Started for resource: "\\ServerName\Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
The following volumes are dependent on resource: "C:" .
The snapshot provider used by VSS for volume C: - Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 (Version 1.0.0.7).
Network control connection is established between 192.168.100.5:2794 <--> 192.168.100.10:10000
Network data connection is established between    192.168.100.5:2860 <--> 192.168.100.10:52096

Sully
Level 3
I am having the exact same problem with the exact same setup. Thank you for posting the fix when it is available.

JoyA
Not applicable
Hello just want to find out if MS has provided a fix for this.  I am having the same issue, running Exch2007 Std Version with SP1.  This is a brand new Ex2007 install.

Using Symantec Back-up exec 11d 7170.  Normal Back-up works but differential back up has been failing with this error:  Your help/input is greatly appreciated.

Set type               : BackupSet status             : CompletedSet description        :
Resource name          : \\Server.domain.local\Microsoft Information Store\Management Storage GroupLogon account          : System Logon AccountEncryption key         : No
Error                  : e000fed1 - A failure occurred querying the Writer status.
Agent used                     : YesAdvanced Open File Option used : Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS)Image used                     : No

Error category    : Resource ErrorsError             : e000fed1 - A failure occurred querying the Writer status.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65233

V-79-57344-34110 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\server.domain.local\Microsoft Information Store\Management Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider reports "Out of memory".
The following volumes are dependent on resource: "K:" .
V-79-57344-34110 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\server.domain.local\Microsoft Information Store\Public Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider reports "Out of memory".
The following volumes are dependent on resource: "M:" .

kshaw
Level 3
I had the exact same problem and couldn't figure out the issue - back ups were running fine after our initial set up of Exchange '07 then just suddenly all started failing.

After much hunting I found this fix through MS - http://support.microsoft.com/?id=891957

Download the hotfix for your particular machine, but before installing I'd run a cmd of  vssadmin list writers to see which one (or more) is actually causing the problem.  Once the patch is installed run the cmd again to make sure they are all stable.

Hope this helps!

Kelvin_Lam
Level 4
I got the same problem, any update solution now?

Thanks~

kshaw
Level 3
Kelvin,
no, still no response from Symantec regarding this issue. 

I'm still having the same problem with Exchange, in fact I had to reload the hotfix last week after a series of Server '03 updates took out the VSS writer for Exchange yet again.  My only suggestion is run the VSS CMD to make sure that the actual problem is your Exchange writer and not another VSS issue.  Once you've confirmed, install the hotfix and create a new job backing up to tape.  All of my backups (running every night) have run clean since I discovered this work around.

Kim