cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2007 backup

LasseF
Level 4

Hi

I have enherited a running installation of Backup Exec 2010 and I am a bit unsure about something regarding backing up Exchange 2007. We have a job that makes a Backup2Disk of our Exchange Information Store and we have a job that does a complete backup of multiple servers, including the Exchange 2007 server.
I can see that the full backup job also backs up the folders containing the Exchange database and logfiles. Isn't that wrong?

If I do a full backup of the Information Store, I will get the Exchange logfiles flushed and it should contain everything. Is it possible to use the Exchange database and logfiles if they are backed up through the full backup job, aren't the files just backed up through the Advanced File Open Option?

Is there a proper how-to guide for Backup Exec 2010 and Exchange 2007?

Lasse

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

I can see that the full backup job also backs up the folders containing the Exchange database and logfiles. Isn't that wrong?

This is Wrong, BE does not support backup of exchange file (EDB & .log) by selecting the

folder where exchange data resides. When you select IS, BE backups your exchange DB , logs and

flushes the logs after successful backup. Even if you select the AOFO BE will not backup the

exchange DB or log files by design.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No the Exchange Database is being backupped with the Exchange agent, to be able to get a usefull restore.

The logfiles are not in use, so these are backupped normally.

Here you can find the how to backup mailboxes guide from symantec:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH51740

LasseF
Level 4

After going through the files on the tape I can see that it excludes the Exchange Databases, which I also assumed it wouldn't and you have confirmed.

The Backup2Disk is setup with the media type as an image. As far as I can tell it results in the database and logfiles being backed up in the B2D folder as raw files. Those folders are also a part of the backupjob..... So we do full backup of the Information Store as Backup2Disk, then we do a complete backup which contains the B2D folders. So I end up with a Information Store backup through the Exchange Agent and then I get a backup of the raw files from the B2D folder, can I actually use the raw files from the B2D folder or should I exclude them?

I hope this makes sense?

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Simply exlude the B2D folder from the backup.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

can I actually use the raw files from the B2D folder or should I exclude them?

You can exclude them.  If the B2D device(s) are on the Exchange server itself, or if you want an extra layer of protection, you can duplicate the backps to tape or a second B2D device, tho