cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2007 restore with redirection results in database errors

EvanNY
Level 4

I am in working on a restore process where I am restoring and Exchange 2007 mailbox that was backed up with GRT, and redirecting it to a new created mailbox on a newly created storage group/database.  We created a new storage group as not to affect our existing storage group in case of a problem.  It seems that was a wise decision. 

We have been dealing with Symantec on another issue so we have update all remote agents to latest, as well as confirmed service account has all proper permissions to Exchange environment.

The problem...restore seems to be corrupting the database to some extent.

This is what has taken place...

- I created a new storage group/database (sgrestore)

- I created two new mailboxes (rstaug and rstjul) to redirect mailbox restore to. Mailboxes activated by sending and receiving.

- The restore process runs as expected, and job log show successful. 

When acccessing the mailbox (rstaug) via OWA, it appears all is well, however when you go into the deleted items folder there is nothing to view, even thought the count says there is about 360 unread messages.  All other folders seem fine as far as i can tell.  Interesting when looking at count in status bar, it show a negative number (for example -2234234 of....)

This is when thing really start to go wrong...

I need to now restore a second mail with redirecting to a the other mailbox I created (rstjul).  Restore goes as expected, but then seems to freeze. 

The first mailbox (rstaug), is now no longer accessible.

Looking at event viewer on our mailbox sever there are a few database events:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ESE
Event Category: Database Page Cache
Event ID: 474
Date:  9/24/2012
Time:  2:24:24 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: 
Description:
MSExchangeIS (5068) sgrestore: The database page read from the file "P:\sgrestore\sgrestore.edb" at offset 1736704 (0x00000000001a8000) (database page 211 (0xD3)) for 8192 (0x00002000) bytes failed verification due to a page checksum mismatch.  The expected checksum was 33495565194821632 (0x0077000a00fd0000) and the actual checksum was 907504490445 (0x000000d34b7b97cd).  The read operation will fail with error -1018 (0xfffffc06).  If this condition persists then please restore the database from a previous backup.  This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem

The other entry I see:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MSExchange Search Indexer
Event Category: General
Event ID: 107
Date:  9/24/2012
Time:  1:32:26 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: 
Description:
Exchange Search Indexer has temporarily disabled indexing of the Mailbox Database sgrestore\sgrestore (GUID = f4bd4c3d-e91e-4d14-be43-5b4682a0002e) due to an error (Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionJetErrorReadVerifyFailure: MapiExceptionJetErrorReadVerifyFailure: Unable to read events. (hr=0x80004005, ec=-1018)
Diagnostic context:
    Lid: 33865 
    Lid: 1494    ---- Remote Context Beg ----
    Lid: 13492   StoreEc: 0xFFFFFC06
    Lid: 30726 
    Lid: 3798    StoreEc: 0xFFFFFC06
    Lid: 23330   StoreEc: 0xFFFFFC06
    Lid: 12624   StoreEc: 0xFFFFFC06
    Lid: 2031    StoreEc: 0xFFFFFC06
    Lid: 20057   StoreEc: 0xFFFFFC06
    Lid: 1750    ---- Remote Context End ----
    Lid: 28777   StoreEc: 0xFFFFFC06
    Lid: 20098 
    Lid: 20585   StoreEc: 0xFFFFFC06
   at Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionHelper.ThrowIfError(String message, Int32 hresult, Object objLastErrorInfo)
   at Microsoft.Mapi.MapiEventManager.ReadEvents(Int64 startCounter, Int32 eventCountWanted, Int32 eventCountToCheck, Restriction filter, ReadEventsFlags flags, Int64& endCounter)
   at Microsoft.Mapi.MapiEventManager.ReadEvents(Int64 startCounter, Int32 eventCountWanted)
   at Microsoft.Exchange.Search.CatchUpNotificationCrawler.GrabNotifications()
   at Microsoft.Exchange.Search.CatchUpNotificationCrawler.DoWork(Boolean& pausedWatcher)
   at Microsoft.Exchange.Search.CatchUpNotificationCrawler.ProcessingProcedure()).

Any thoughts what's going on here?

Thanks for the help!

-Evan

here are my job settings...The second mailbox restore will ahve the same settings but different selections and redirected mailbox entry.

Media required for restore job: IMG000902

Source

Selections

Selection list name: rstmlaug

Resource Credentials

Resources Resource Credentials
E2K7MAIL System Logon Account
First Storage Group  

Destination

File Redirection

Redirect file sets: No

Microsoft Exchange Redirection

Redirect Exchange sets: Yes
Restore to server: \\e2k7mail
Server logon account: System Logon Account
Restore to mailbox: rstmlaug
Mailbox logon account: System Logon Account
Restore public folder:  
Public folder logon account:  

Settings

General

Job name: rstmlaug
Job priority: Medium
Restoring existing files: Overwrite the file on disk only if it is older
Restoring security information: Restore all information for files and directories

Restore corrupt files: No
Preserve tree: Yes

Advanced

When restoring registry information: Merge the existing hardware configuration and registry services with the data to be restored
Junction points: Restore junction points, symbolic links, files and directories from backup media

Restore Removable Storage data: No
Restore disk quota data: No
Restore Terminal Services database: No
Restore Windows Management Instrumentation repository: No
Restore cluster quorum: No
Mark this server as the primary arbitrator for replication when restoring folders managed by the File Replication Service, or when restoring SYSVOL in System State: No
Restore Windows NT 4.0 registry: No
Path on media server for staging temporary restore data when restoring individual items from tape: f:\grt temp

Microsoft Exchange

Automatically recreate user accounts and mailboxes: No
When restoring individual mail messages and folders, restore over existing messages and folders: No

Exchange v5.5
No loss restore: Yes
Restore public folder: Yes
Restore private mailboxes: Yes

Exchange 2000 and later
Log recovery options: Restore all transaction logs; do not delete existing transaction logs (no loss restore)
Path on Exchange Server for temporary storage of log and patch files: f:\TEMP

Dismount database before restore: No
Commit after restore completes: Yes
Mount database after restore: Yes

Notification

Include job log with a notification to an e-mail or printer recipient: No

1 REPLY 1

EvanNY
Level 4

I would like to readdress this issue i am having.  If anyone has any thoughts or questions I would certainly like to hear them.

Thanks

-Evan