cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2010 Complete Restore

clum1
Level 4

I'm documenting a restore procedure for Exchange 2010 Standard on Server 2k8R2, using BE2010 R2. My backups are running fine and test restores of mailboxes, users etc, work fine.

Part of my scenario planning is to replace an entire corrupt Exchange database with a backup. I know how I can restore to a Recovery Database and then export to the production one (in this case, I'd assume a new database created to replace the corrupt one), but I can't seem to find any documentation online for a complete, inline restore over my old db using BE. I assume it can do this, if I don't redirect etc. Is this available but not seen as feasible or not best practice? All the online guides I see tend to cover single item recovery and RDBs. I'm hoping to create a "simple" procedure that other people in my organisation could enact in case of emergency, and this would be my preferred method.

thanks

Calum

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

Your best bet is to read Appendix G of the Admin Guide (will be in your installation directory). This section deals with all your restore options, and details how to do each type of Exchange restore...

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV

Hi there,

Your best bet is to read Appendix G of the Admin Guide (will be in your installation directory). This section deals with all your restore options, and details how to do each type of Exchange restore...

Thanks!

clum1
Level 4

Thanks Craig; I've taken a good look through that and "Recovering from a disaster for Exchange 2000 or later" on page 1166 seems to cover it best. It's not something I want to rehearse (restoring a complete backup over my production server), but it's good to know the process! Much less nerve-wracking staging out to an RDB and restoring the odd test mailbox into the main database...

Strange that no-one seems to document it in more depth on blogs etc; there's lots of chatter about single item, mailbox recovery etc. but not about DR. 

CraigV

...you're actually quite right...there isn't much said about ANY DR of any application or site. It does come up, but in dribs & drabs!

Glad to have helped!

Thanks!