cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2010 DAG - Virtual backup or not?

SimonGA
Level 2
Partner

Hi

We currently have all our Exchange mailbox servers and CAS/HUB servers virtualized with VMware. We are using Backup Exec 2012. 

Right now i have installed Remote Agents on the mailbox servers, and i have setup the backup to go directly to the DAG (not going through vCenter).

Would it be better (in terms of speed, reliability, best practices etc) to do the backup of the DAG through vCenter? Do i gain something/do i lose something?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Our VMware agent does not support DAG for Exchange GRT backups - as such to backup a virtual DAG environment you should do information store backups with the standard remote agent. And do VMware backups with Exchange GRT disabled so that you can Disaster Recover the servers (if needed)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Our VMware agent does not support DAG for Exchange GRT backups - as such to backup a virtual DAG environment you should do information store backups with the standard remote agent. And do VMware backups with Exchange GRT disabled so that you can Disaster Recover the servers (if needed)