cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2010 DAG virtual machines

dennis_kloster
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I have a 2 node Exchange 2010 DAG where both nodes are VMware vSphere virtual machines. I have both the VMware Agent and Exchange agent for Backup Exec. How should I back this up? Ordinarily, I back up VMs from the VMware selection list and DAGs from the DAG selection list. I'm not sure what to do when it is both a VM and a DAG member. Thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The BE Vmware Agent cannot backup the Exchange Database with GRT, (application GRT is not supported in a DAG configuration, see quote below).
Therefore you will need to create a backup with the 'normal' exchange agent.

You can ask yourself how usefull it is to create a vmware backup of the Exchange DAG VMs.

Application GRT does not support applications distributed over several servers such as Exchange 2007 LCR, CCR, SCR and Exchange 2010 Database Availability Groups (DAGs). The entire application must be installed onto a single server. To protect these applications when they are distributed across multiple Guest Virtual Machines, please use the Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft Exchange inside of each of the Guest Virtual Machines to protect them.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The BE Vmware Agent cannot backup the Exchange Database with GRT, (application GRT is not supported in a DAG configuration, see quote below).
Therefore you will need to create a backup with the 'normal' exchange agent.

You can ask yourself how usefull it is to create a vmware backup of the Exchange DAG VMs.

Application GRT does not support applications distributed over several servers such as Exchange 2007 LCR, CCR, SCR and Exchange 2010 Database Availability Groups (DAGs). The entire application must be installed onto a single server. To protect these applications when they are distributed across multiple Guest Virtual Machines, please use the Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft Exchange inside of each of the Guest Virtual Machines to protect them.

dennis_kloster
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks....that answers the question perfectly. I guess I will also create a backup using the VMware agent of the VMDK containing the c:\ drive.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Sure, if you fell happy with it, and have the time for it, make a backup of all system files.

Maybe you only do this once a week (in the weekend) as normally nothing changes on an Exchange server, except for the Exchange database.