Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2010 Databases

T35216
Level 4
Partner

Hi All,

I am backing up Exchange 2010 using Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP2 successfully, my query is why is the backup significantly bigger than the ondisk resources.  I would appreciate any response and would welcome any pointers to online material discussing this point.

Regards Peter

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Are you only backing up the Exchange Information Store onto tape, or are you including a number of other files and folders?

Thanks!

T35216
Level 4
Partner

Hi Craig,

I am selecting the information store in a job with the server drives, however when I view the restore selections for the databases the size of the backups is quite a bit bigger than the physical folder locations.  I have tried backups to tape and B2D an both show the same.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...it might be that any data files that are compressed are being decompressed during the backup. Not unheard of.

Is compression set on the job?

Thanks!

MIXIT
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I'm not an expert like CraigV is, but one thing I learned the hard way is that if you are doing B2D and also tape, but for the same source of data for the backup, you sort of end up with two backups of the same data in a backup set. 

It might help overall if you could lay out the entire backup set you have going, from what you have selected for backup to the agents being used (apps & Databases, hyper-v or VMware, etc.).  Also where are you viewing the backup size exactly?  Just from the tape space usage or via one of the reports? 

Again I'm not expert here but in reading your post I'd want to first ask about all the little details about how you're doing your backup and then where you're seeing your results. 

MIXIT
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Also do you  have the option of upgraidng to either BE 2012 or 2014.  I'm not saying you must, but in some cases certain problems are just simply solved by upgrading to a more robust platform.  When BE 2012 came out, Symantec kept talking about "imrpoved virtualization backups" or whatever.  Maybe BE 2010 wasn't good at that, assuming your Exchange 2010 is in a VM that is. 

T35216
Level 4
Partner

Hi Craig,

Compression is Hardware.  I have checked all my clients with Exchange 2010 installed and all of the restore selections indicate that the backup is bigger than the folder disk location.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This may be applicable as well - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH197662