cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2010 Full Backups smaller than the original

Brett_121
Level 2

Hi Folks!

I'm still learnign the ins and outs of Backup Exec, so bear with me.

I'm running BE 2010 on a Server 2003 box. It's main purpose is to back up our newly created Exchange 2010 server.

When I set up the backup job, I followed the instructions per the "best practices" article via Symantec, and all seemed well.

I'm running a full backup every Friday, with differentials Monday through Thursday.

The first full backup looked fine. No errors, and the amount of data compared to the information store size was the same.

Now however, the full backup is backing up a much smaller amount of data. First full backup job backed up 70 GB worth, now it's only backing up around 20GB.

I have not tried to perform a restore as of yet, although that'll hopefully happen tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

-Brett

8 REPLIES 8

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

The first thing is to backup exchange 2010 you must install BE 2010 on win2008 server which is 64 bit so if you can install BE 2010 on win2008 R2 would be perfect so the configuration you have got right now with BE 2010 installed on win2003 server is not supported

Please check the link for same & read the note part

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126204

Also you can check same in SCL for  BE 2010

So you can have below configuration

1 Install BE 2010 r3 with all updates using live update on win2008 r2 server

https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=93355

2 Then if exchange 2010 is on remote server then install same level management tool for exchange 2010 on Media server

3 Then install remote agent on nodes having Mailbox role & CAS role

4 Lastly the account used by you for doing backup should be oart of these group Administrators ,Domain Admin ,Organization Management.Also the user should have the active mailbox in case you are doing GRT backup

With this configuration your backup should work fine

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What has all these go to do with the user's problem?  DO NOT POST FOR THE SAKE OF POSTING!

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

As per OP line above I'm running BE 2010 on a Server 2003 box. It's main purpose is to back up our newly created Exchange 2010 server.

I have mention the steps to backup

Thanks

Thomas_Dupont
Level 2

What is the size of your mailstore in Exchange?

Is it possible that the first backup you performed included the exchange logs as well?

Also, are you using the deduplication agent from Symantec?

A redacted copy of your job log might give us some additional information to answer your question.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you would read the OP's post carefully, he is already backing up successfully.  

When I set up the backup job, I followed the instructions per the "best practices" article via Symantec, and all seemed well.

His question is why is there a difference in backup sizes, not how to backup Exchange.

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi PKH

I understand he has mentioned that his backup are successfull &(When I set up the backup job, I followed the instructions per the "best practices" article via Symantec, and all seemed well.) he has followed best practiscses to confiugre job but he has not followed the prerequiste to backup exchange 2010 using backupexec which I have mention in my above post so that he can get that corrected in first place

(I'm running BE 2010 on a Server 2003 box. It's main purpose is to back up our newly created Exchange 2010 server.) Were he specify clearly that he is running BE 2010 on win2003 server which is not right so I have explained him what is supported thing & how he can backup exchange. If doing after this if still issue persist then make sense in helping him further to resove the issue

Thanks

Brett_121
Level 2

Hi Folks,

First off, my thanks to newsolutionBE. It is correct that I currently running Backup Exec 2010 on a Server 2003 box. That apparently should be remedied, despite the apparent fact that I'm not getting any errors or anything in the job log. 

What sort of issues should I expect running on a Server 2003 system? 

Thomas: I have Exchange agent installed on the email server if that's what you mean (again, I'm new to this. :) And it's all together possible that the first backup included all the Exchange logs as well. I will attempt to verify this tonight.

Regards,

Brett

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

As you donot have a setup as per recommendation you may various effects from not having good clean backup or if backup workig partially or restore having issue so please ensure you get this corrected first so that you can see a difference as per my above post ensure you have configured your setup & if still issue persist please let us know so that we can help you to resolve this issue

Thanks