Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2010, Hyper-V and backup exec 2010

pauliew1978
Level 2

Hi,

I have an unusual situation with the following infrastrcuture:-

2xhyperv host servers (one at each site) not joined to the domain

2xExchange 2010 virtual machines set up as a DAG (1 at each site)

I have backup exec 2010 running on the hyper-v server.

I would like to back up my Exchaneg 2010 environment however after doing some research it appears that i have to install the Exchange management tools on the hyper-v server, which i cannot do as it is not joined to the domain. Thus I cannot backup my Exchange 2010 server.

I want to keep this machine off the domain which i dont see as unreasonable. Especially because the virtual machines are domain controllers and it would affect reboot speed etc if joined to the domain.

Is there anyway around this?

thanks,

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JT_T
Level 5
Partner Certified

Exchange GRT works fine without Exchange Management tools on Backup Exec server.

Why Exchange Management tools is required, because of some dll files that you need to have to run GRT backups? They already are there (on BE server with Exchange Agent license installed) and you can verify that testing Exchange GRT without Exchange Management tools installed.

I understand that Admin guide says you need to install Exchange Management tools, but honestly you dont. Test it by yourself.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

JT_T
Level 5
Partner Certified

Hi,

You do not need to install ESM to Backup Exec server although BE Admin guide says you should.

Exchange backups runs just fine without ESM installed.

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hmm. If you want to backup the exchange vms using the hyper-v agent then you need not to install the exchange management tool on the hyper-v host BUT if you want to take the GRT backup of your exchange to restore the individual mailboxes then you have to purchase exchange license and need to install the exchange license on backup exec and remote agent on the exchange vms. In this case you have to install the exchange management tool to BE server.

So if GRT is what you are looking then install the BE on other server on which you can install the exchange management tool or join this one to domain.

JT_T
Level 5
Partner Certified

Exchange GRT works fine without Exchange Management tools on Backup Exec server.

Why Exchange Management tools is required, because of some dll files that you need to have to run GRT backups? They already are there (on BE server with Exchange Agent license installed) and you can verify that testing Exchange GRT without Exchange Management tools installed.

I understand that Admin guide says you need to install Exchange Management tools, but honestly you dont. Test it by yourself.

pauliew1978
Level 2

thanks for your help guys, i am testing now

peter7
Level 2

I have the same problem.

backup exec2010 with exchange agent on host server, remote backup agent on hyper-v machine.

when opening restore, i do not 'see' the information store to make a selection.

when i do not backup the hyper-v, but the information store itself, it is possible to restore one mail from the information store.

do i have to install something special inside the guest to be able to backup the Information store as GRT of hyper-v backup?

thanks for your answers.