cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2010 R3 - VSS error

John_Leis
Level 2

I have a problem that I've been fighting for several days, Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the details:

1. Server 2008 R2, BE 2010 R3 fully patched

2. Exchange 2010 redundant servers on a single DAG with 31 mail databases.

3. All databases are mounted on the same server with the pasive copy on the second.

4. All the backups are being done on the Passive server as best choice via backup config.

Problem:

I have 4 databases that continully fail to back up with a VSS error. there is nothing different about the 3 verses the others.

The Symantec error is as follows:

V-79-57344-65233 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SLCDAG1.stlucieco.org\Microsoft Information Store\Eng". Advan...Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.
Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.
Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS...

2 REPLIES 2

lmosla
Level 6

Hello, from a command prompt on the servers run vssadmin list writers.  Are any of the writers errored or failed?

A restart usually fixes them.

also take a look at this link that discusses the errors and solutions http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH125176 

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

does the failure occur at the same time every night? is there any type of replication or something else that may be calling for and occupying the writers during the time of the failure ?