cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2010 SP1 - Failure Querying Writer Status

TechnicalAnal1
Level 3

Hi,

I've been having some trouble getting My Exchange 2010 SP1 backups working. I'm using Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3. Both servers are 2008 R2 64 bit.

Exchange is setup in a DAG connected by a high speed WAN link. Backup Exec is set to backup the active (local) copy on the primary site. Exchange shows mailbox databases are healthy and mounted. There are several mailboxes within my DAG, but 1 consistently fails to backup (MailDB)

The message on Exchange I get in the event logs are (The previous mail backup attempt occurred 24hrs ago):

An attempt to prepare the database 'MailDB' for backup failed because the database is already in the process of being backed up. The error code is -2403. (Note that if a backup was recently aborted, then it may take several minutes for the system to detect the aborted backup and initiate backup cleanup procedures, so this message may be generated if an attempt was made to backup a database before a previous backup attempt had fully terminated.)

Exchange VSS Writer (instance 542dc4c9-c31d-4316-8ef8-75a4afe458c1:44) failed with error code -2403 when preparing the database engine for backup of database 'MailDB'.

Symantec Backup Exec displays the error message "failure querying the writer status", which according to Symantec support is a general error message.

VSS Admin List Writers on Exchange shows 0 errors and only uses the default Microsoft VSS writers.

My first attempt will be to try backing up the passive copy of MailDB at the secondary site.

Has anyone come across this before? Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi As your exchange is in DAG and as it is only failing on one database have you tried doing a fail over of that database and then do backup of that database again and check. Thanks

TechnicalAnal1
Level 3

Wouldn't simply backing up the passive copy of the DAG at the secondary site achieve the same result?

TechnicalAnal1
Level 3

Trying to backup the passive copy at secondary site failed with a failure querying writer status.

Other DBs backup fine, just this 1 fails.

I've came across the article below which may help, but first want to ask Symantec for their advice:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH125176

TechnicalAnal1
Level 3

Unfortunately an Exchange reboot didn't resolve this issue, I've moved the faulting database backups over to the 2nd data center and will back up the passive copy.

After the reboot of Exchange, I'm back at square one:

An attempt to prepare the database 'MailDB' for backup failed because the database is already in the process of being backed up. The error code is -2403. (Note that if a backup was recently aborted, then it may take several minutes for the system to detect the aborted backup and initiate backup cleanup procedures, so this message may be generated if an attempt was made to backup a database before a previous backup attempt had fully terminated.)

Exchange VSS Writer (instance 542dc4c9-c31d-4316-8ef8-75a4afe458c1:44) failed with error code -2403 when preparing the database engine for backup of database 'MailDB'

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

try the following:

1. Follow the TN below to reregister the VSS *.dlls.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70486

2. Restart the server, or follow the MS TN below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930800

Try the backup again.

Thanks!

TechnicalAnal1
Level 3

Hi Craig,

I think that could be my last option. I'm reticent to to do that, as I don't know what the impact will be in our environment. The article mentions that the VSS disables DFSR replication:

Do not follow this procedure to re-register the VSS writers if the customer is using DFSR replication. It will stop the replication process

Im not sure if any part of DAG replication uses DFSR, in which case, the option would not work(?)

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

That's more a Microsoft question to ask on their forums.

From a VSS perspective, every backup software now basically uses VSS, including Server 2008's built-in utility. If VSS doesn't work properly, chances are good your backups won't either.

King_Julien
Level 5

Yep agree with Craig, you can try what http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930800 suggest:

Method 1: Dismount all databases in the storage group

Use this method if the event ID 9840 that was logged on the Exchange 2007 server contained error code 2403.

To dismount all databases in the storage group, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Exchange Server 2007, and then click Exchange Management Console.
  2. Expand Server Configuration, and then expand the storage group that is listed in the event ID 9840 message that was logged on the Exchange 2007 server.
  3. Right-click each database in that storage group, and then click Dismount Database.
  4. Click Yes to confirm the operation.
  5. After the dismount operation is complete, right-click the database again, and then click Mount Database.
  6. Try to perform the backup operation that resulted in event ID 9840.

If this method does not resolve the problem, try method 2.

Method 2: Restart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service

Use this method if the event ID 9840 that was logged on the Exchange 2007 server contained error code 1293. Use this method if Event ID 9607 was logged on Exchange 2003. Additionally, use this method if method 1 did not resolve the problem.

To restart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Services.
  2. Right-click Microsoft Exchange Information Store, and then click Restart.
  3. Try to perform the backup operation that resulted in event ID 9840.

Looks like something from MS side , ¿Do you have the events id mentioned in that document on all the Exchange server?