cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2010 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options for the following reason: VFF Open Failure. This can be caused by low memory or disk resources.

KirkBoyd
Level 3

Hi All,

We are currently running Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 (SP3) on our media server (Windows Server 2008 R2) and attempting to backup an Exchange 2010 environment.

Our normal backup schedule includes backing up our Exchange 2010 Mailbox server on a daily basis however over the last couple of weeks we have been receiving the following issue:

Job ended: Monday, April 28, 2014 at 1:08:00 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00002f7 - Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup. Review the job log for more information.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-759

Backup- \\EXCHANGETEST.com\Microsoft Information Store\Public Folders EXCHANGETEST

V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options for the following reason: VFF Open Failure.  This can be caused by low memory or disk resources.

This incident does not occur every night but it has been happening sporadically over the last 6 weeks.

Has anyone seen this issue before?

Thanks in advance,

Kirk

21 REPLIES 21

citybett1
Level 3

I'll definitely post back whenever this gets resolved.  Tech support is still looking at it.  I don't think even the debug logs are giving them much to go on.   Basically to me it looks like the debug logs are indicating that the GRT process can't find it's own temp files that it just got done creating, so it gives up and moves onto the next database.

citybett1
Level 3

Well, here's the end of my story on this problem.  Symantec's developers ended up blaming the problem on the server running out of memory, and suggested I double the RAM from 8GB to 16GB.  Which doesn't make any sense to me, since the server always has free memory available to use, and PLENTY of virtual memory.

Rebooting the server periodically resolves the issue for awhile.