cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2010 backup to disk then tape library

Mike_Eldridge
Level 4

I currently have Backup Exec 2010 running on a 32-bit server and Exchange 2003 running on a 32-bit Server 2003 box. I am upgrading to an Exchange 2010 system. We have built a Server 2008 box with Exchange 2010 on it. I know you have to use a 64-bit media server for the backup.

I really want to leave my current setup alone because my Tape Drive is connected to that server along with my SAN so it makes for faster backups. I also cannot redo that server to make it 64-bit for the same reasons.

My question is can I have a 2nd Media server on the 2008 box that just does a backup to disk of the exchange stuff and then backup that B2D folder with the 2003 media server to get it onto my tapes?

I think I could then restore from Tape to B2D folder and then use GRT restore from there with the 64-bit server.

If this is possible I assume I will need to buy another Media server license.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I think that the problem with your approach would be the possibility of duplicate media ids (BKF file names) after you delete from the 64-bit box

Assuming I am wrong about that, you would indeed need a second base BE license

Mike_Eldridge
Level 4

I am not sure if that will be a problem as I will most likely leave them on the 64-bit box until they get written over by the BEWS system anyways. I only want to write them to tape so i can take them off site with my other offsite backups. If I need to restore I will do it from the ones on the HD still unless there is a major failure or something and then the HD ones will not be an issue anyways.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Your proposed setup is going to be quite complicated.  You can't just do a normal backup of the B2D folder created by your 64-bit media server with your existing media server.  For .bkf files, you got to duplicate them   to tape.  This means that after the .bkf files are created by your 64-bit media server, you would have to catalog them on your existing media server and then duplicate them to tape.

Mike_Eldridge
Level 4

Why would they be different from any other regular file? I do not want or need to be able to do anything but restore them as a regular file if I need them. I do not need to be able to restore from them or anything until I put them back on the 64-bit server and then use the 64-bit media server to do my restores. Basically this seems to me that it would be the same as if I had a big USB drive that I connected every day and copied the files to that, then when I need one I copy it back and use the 64-bit server to do my resotre stuff.

Is there something special with these files that will mess this up or something?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Veritas and now Symantec have always recommended against copy/backing up BE's BKF files.  Either to tape or external disk.

The problem is that if you move/backup a file, then delete it, if BE reuses the media name, when/if you restore the old BKF file, you have just corrupted the catalog.  Duplication will bypass this problem

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The .bkf files are part of a bigger "database" of information maintained by BE on backups which comprises the BEDB, catalogs and the backup media.  Copying the .bkf files would be copying part of this "database".  It is always recommended that you duplicate your data.

Mike_Eldridge
Level 4

Is there a special duplication task or something I should use? We actually use duplication on our jobs now, my problem is that the exchange will be being backed up with a Media server that does not have access to the tape drive. The tape drive is connected to the 32bit server that backs up our SAN and we would like to leave it there for speed issues since the SAN is also connected to that same server. I would think that my backing up the files to tape and still having them on disc would be a duplicate.

Also for the corrupting the catalog part, couldn't I just catalog the B2D file and then it would know what is there. What happens if I have a complete server failure and have to put my B2D stuff into a new media server? Wouldn't I just catalog them and then be on my merry way?

I appreciate all the quick answers here from you guys, I just want to make sure I understand everything.