cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2010 backup with Windows 2012 R2 Media Server running BE2014

jerrys79
Level 4

How can I backup Exchange 2010 if my media server is 2012 R2? 

According to the Microsoft Exchange Server Supportability Matrix: http://technet.microsoft.com/library/ff728623(v=exchg.150).aspx, Exchange 2010 SP3 is only supported on Windows Server 2012 and not 2012 R2 so I have no way to install the Management Tools.

However, according to this Symantec article: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO99178, "To protect Exchange Server 2010/2013, you must install Backup Exec on a Microsoft Windows 2008 SP2 or later 64-bit server, Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 64-bit server, Microsoft Windows Server 2012, or Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 64-bit."

Can someone please clarify how this is possible?  I can't imagine I would need 2 servers??

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The Admin Guide & HOWTO99178 was updated recently & this contains the correct information. Let me check internally on the Exch Management Tools part.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...in this case I would tend to go with the OS manufacturer, so Microsoft in my opinion would be right.

1 option is to downgrade your media server to Windows Server 2012 where you can install BE 2014 and the Exchange 2010 Management Tools.

Thanks!

jerrys79
Level 4

Thanks Craig,

The one problem this presents is "To perform a GRT-enabled backup of a Windows Server 2012 R2 Active Directory Application Server, you must use a Backup Exec server that runs Windows Server 2012 R2."

So now i'm torn whether I backup AD or Exchange.  Not good.  I guess i'm going to buy a single tape drive and connect it directly to the Exchange server and make it a BE media server.  Though not a good one, that's my only option at this point.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...that would work too Jerry! Unless you just rely on a System State backup of the DC itself, instead of using the AD agent.

This might actually be a case of the BE 2014 SCL not being edited correctly...ie. the information re. Exchange 2010 SP3 and Manegement Tools being compatible haven't been updated correctly. I've seen this already in the past couple of weeks.

Might be something to take to someone like Colin Weaver via PM...

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The Admin Guide & HOWTO99178 was updated recently & this contains the correct information. Let me check internally on the Exch Management Tools part.

jerrys79
Level 4

Thanks VJware.  I'm really interested in the correct answer.

SimonMCH
Level 3

I would be very interested as well as we have a vendor install of BEX 2014 on Windows 2012R2.

How are we going to migrate our Exchange 2010 backup which is currently being backed up via BEX 2010 with this configuration?

jerrys79
Level 4

The official answer hasn't been made publicly available so I would like to close this out pending an official document from Symantec.

SimonMCH
Level 3

FYI: Our vendor came back to me last week after speaking to Symantec.

The information from Symantec was that you do not need the Exchange Management Pack installed on the BEX 2014 server to do granular backups of exchange servers / DAGs.

I will be testing this next week. If this is the case, then issue solved?

jerrys79
Level 4

SimonMCH, let me know how your testing goes.  I was told the same answer by Symantec that the Exchange tools are not needed.  I wanted to test this week but am currently having an issue creating my test environment so can't get an answer yet: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/unable-restore-domain-controller-new-test-environment.  I'll update this if I ever get working.  Thanks.