cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2010 on Hyper-V GRT backups

brucefan
Level 3

Running BE 2010 R3, Win 2008 R2 and Exchange 2010 SP2 in a cluster and DAG config.  I am able to successfully do GRT backups of Exchange 2010 if I create a job specifically to back up the guest server and the Information store....the exchange store and mailboxes are listed under the Exchange DAG entry in BE.    When I do a full Hyper-V backup of the host though, there is no GRT backup of Exchange.  I get GRT for the file system and for SQL servers...but there is no information store for that backup date under the Exchange DAG entry.  The "Exchange Information Store" under the server entry is empty...and the job completes with no errors (GRT is enabled in the properties for that job).  Is there something I'm missing to get this to do GRT backups when doing a full hyper-v backup of the host?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Application GRT (GRT for Exchange, SQL, Sharepoint, Active Directory) is not supported when the Application is spread across multiple VMs (DAG in this case)... If GRT is a requirement, then consider backing up via the regular remote agent for windows and not the Hyper-V agent.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Application GRT (GRT for Exchange, SQL, Sharepoint, Active Directory) is not supported when the Application is spread across multiple VMs (DAG in this case)... If GRT is a requirement, then consider backing up via the regular remote agent for windows and not the Hyper-V agent.