cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2010 "Cmdlet failed" events during backup operation

edvSDL
Level 4

Hi,

the following events occour every night when I backup an Exchange 2010 database (35GB)

Cmdlet failed. Cmdlet Get-Mailbox, parameters {Database=Public Folder Database 0185302815, ResultSize=unlimited}.

Cmdlet failed. Cmdlet Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus, parameters {Identity=Public Folder Database 0185302815\*, Active=True}.

Cmdlet failed. Cmdlet Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus, parameters {Identity=Public Folder Database 0185302815\*, Active=True}.

Cmdlet failed. Cmdlet Get-PublicFolderDatabase, parameters {Identity=Mailbox Database 0189822478}.

Cmdlet failed. Cmdlet Get-PublicFolderDatabase, parameters {Identity=Mailbox Database 0189822478}.

Cmdlet failed. Cmdlet Get-PublicFolderDatabase, parameters {Identity=Archive Database}.

Cmdlet failed. Cmdlet Get-PublicFolderDatabase, parameters {Identity=Archive Database}.

I recently upgraded from R2 to R3 but the problem still exists. And there are more people having this issue.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/3cac5ec0-4bfc-4611-9d1f-7dc583feefa8

9 REPLIES 9

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Do you have the Roll up 2 for exchange 2010 sp 1 ?

edvSDL
Level 4

Yes, Exchange is running all the latest updates.

Tsunami7
Not applicable

Hi there,

I was wondering if there were any updates on this? I'm experiencing the same problems.

Thanks

David

edvSDL
Level 4

I'll open up a ticket with Symantec on this next week.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...escalated to support for you...

weycotech
Not applicable

We're experiencing the same issue on a brand new Exchange 2010 install.  

Running Exchange 2010 SP1 RU4 and BE 2010 R3 w/ latest updates.  The errors show up for all of our Exchange databases (1x Public Folder DB, 3x Mail DB, 1x Archive DB).

Has there been a fix for this?

Thanks

WoCom
Level 4
Partner Accredited

do you have the same version of Exchange 2010 management tools installed on the backup exec media server?

sbora
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

During the backups of Exchange 2010, Backup Exec queries the Exchange database with two commands - "Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus" and "Get-PublicFolderDatabase".

So if "Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus" query runs against the Public folder database or "Get-PublicFolderDatabase" query against the Mailbox database then these event errors are generated as the Cmdlet failed.

This is because backup job initially does not know if the database is mailbox database or public folder database. The job figures it out only after running those commands and so the messages can be safely ignored.

Refer to following document for details:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH169638

boogieshafer
Not applicable
Partner Accredited

perhaps instead of all these spurious errors being created in every installation and all of us either ignoring the event or having to program our log parsers/alerters to explicity ignore them the original queries could be better written to parse more generic queries instead of making erroneous specific queries

e.g. instead of

'Get-PublicFolderDatabase <DB_NAME>'

use

'Get-PublicFolderDatabase'

and then parse the list output to look for the specific <DB_NAME> you are trying to figure out whether its a public folder database or not

or, to optimize a little further,

after the first time a DB type is identified (perhaps the first time the job is run) the queries dont need to be rerun with errors each time the backup job is run. one could argue its fine not to know the answer and bumble around in the dark the first time, but subsequent investigations should be a little more pointed

i.e. once you have figured out a database is a public or mailbox type, you shouldnt need to query every time the job is run

ignoring errors isnt a fix and usually requires more work than actually fixing

thanks