cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2010 restore failed

sachitha
Level 4

Hi All,

I have exchange 2010 DAG in place and we are using backup exec 2012. Backups are running without any issue and from last week I'm trying to restore some mailboxes and getting the following error. Please help me to resolve this issue.

Restore

V-79-57344-958 - Unable to open the item Database - skipped.

V-79-57344-958 - Unable to open the item Database - skipped.

Regs,

Sachitha.

4 REPLIES 4

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

What is the final error code that your seeing in regard to this .. additionally are you targeting the restore job to the CAS 

Is this restore job comming from disk or tape ... if it is comming from disk try to run a redirected restore and target the restore to the server running CAS role. In the Restore job properties select Microsoft Exchange Redirection tab and enter the name of the CAS server in place of "Restore to server or Data Availability Group

if the restore is comming from tape first duplicate the backup to disk then try running the redirected restore

sachitha
Level 4

Hi Donald Eady,

Following are the answers for your quaries.

1.) are you targeting the restore job to the CAS?

did not change any default values of the backup job and it points to the original location

2.) Is this restore job comming from disk or tape?

Tape

Do I have to always use the redirection when it comes to restore?. How to duplicate exchange data from tape to disk. Anyway it stage the files to disk, so why should we duplicate it to disk?

Regs,

Sachitha.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Please check below link to duplicate backup from tape to disk

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187265

Main advantage of duplicate job is 

1 If the restore job fails for some reason you have to fix the error and again wait for staging to happen

2 When you create duplicate job you have option to duplicate it to disk on. Media server or any remote server were you have a got space but staging has to be on Media server only.

Hope that helps

Thanks

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello, 

When doing a restore of an individual mailbox or mail item you need to be targeting the CAS which will direct the restoration to the active DB. It is not neccessary to duplicate the backup to disk but as mentioned by Backup_Exec doing so will save a tremendous amount of time if the restore has to be run a number of times, as you would bypass the staging time.