cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Agent

naveen_s
Level 4
Here is the scenario- I have a 20 gig exchange database. Should I be backing up the store and the mailboxes? It is a lot of data to be backing up on a regular basis. 2x that if I just backed up the mailboxes. I am guessing that the database logs are not being purged if I do not backup the store. Is this correct? Can someone please give me some info on the correct way or examples of how they backup their exchange system?

Naveen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

THarry
Level 5
no problem doing the incremental backups.  So you would carry out a full say, Monday night, then 4 (or 6?) incremental backups and another full the following Monday.

Harry

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

THarry
Level 5
Unfortunately that is how you have to backup exchange servers.  Yes, it is a lot of data.  Purging must be done regularly.  Also your public folder containers need to be well maintained.
One option would be to execute a daily differential backup with a full backup once each week.  This could be good or bad for you depending on the nature of your work and the way in which data is stored on your exchange server.
If you don't backup both your mailboxes and your information store, you simply won't be able to restore them to your exchange server.
I can give you more details on how we have set up our exchange backups if you require?

Harry

alandavid
Level 4
Mistake!! Has commented in the wrong thread. Sorry

naveen_s
Level 4
Thanks for your reply. I am thinking about dedicating one of our other dds-4 drives to just the exchange database. What I want to do is backup the database to NAS on a daily basis. I suppose I could do a full backup on Monday and a incremental every other day of the week. Incremental to the NAS would make it quick to restore something from a while back. Let me know what you think.

Naveen

THarry
Level 5
no problem doing the incremental backups.  So you would carry out a full say, Monday night, then 4 (or 6?) incremental backups and another full the following Monday.

Harry