cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange B2D duplicate to tape

doggatas
Level 3

Hi Guys

Just reviewing the way we backup Exchange 2007. I have been doing a fair bit of testing with Exchange GRT. After reading all the best practices, a few other forum posts and my own testing the cleanest way is B2D and duplicate to tape for off site purposes.

What i would like to know is if there is anyway to duplicate the Exchange B2D to the same tape as the nightly backup tape. Effectively this would mean I'm backing up Exchange separately as stated in best practice, but getting the data to the same tape as my other backups for the night.

Cheers

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Sure you can.  You just append the Exchange data onto your nightly backup tape.  If it does not have sufficient space for the Exchange data, then you would need a second tape.

1) Go to the media set of your nightly tape and change the AP to a longer period, say 20 hrs.

2) setup your duplicate job, target it to the media set that your nightly tape belongs to and specify append in the duplicate job property.  This assumes that your duplicate job follows your other nightly job.

To setup your B2D2T, use a policy.  It is much easier.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Sure you can.  You just append the Exchange data onto your nightly backup tape.  If it does not have sufficient space for the Exchange data, then you would need a second tape.

1) Go to the media set of your nightly tape and change the AP to a longer period, say 20 hrs.

2) setup your duplicate job, target it to the media set that your nightly tape belongs to and specify append in the duplicate job property.  This assumes that your duplicate job follows your other nightly job.

To setup your B2D2T, use a policy.  It is much easier.