cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Backup Fails: 0xe00002f7 / V-79-57344-759 / VFF Open Failure

ababh
Level 3

Hello,

we are using Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP4 (Ver 13.0 Rev. 5204 (64Bit)) on Windows Server 2008 R2.

This Server is doing a Backup of an Exchange 2010 Server running on another Windows Server 2008 R2 via Remote Agent for Windows Servers.

The backup is running two times a day:
In the middle of the day to disk.
In the night to tape.

The Backup was running fine for several years.
Since 3 weeks the backup to tape fails, while the backup to disk still works fine.
Nothing was changed.

The error is (translated):

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-759

and:

What we have already tried:
-Restart Server
-Update Backup Exec to newest Version
-Install Hotfix TECH164659
-Solutions from this articles:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH128187
http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/0xe00002f7-cannot-extract-mailbox-messages-exchange-backup-0
-deleting an recreating the backup-job
-delting and reinstalling the remote agent
-deleting Files on Exchange Server to get more free disk space
-defining max cache size for Exchange Information Store to get more free RAM
-Installing all Windows an Exchange Updates (Exchange 2010 SP3 Update Rollup 7)

Nothing of the above did help, we are still getting the same error on backup to Tape while Backup to Disk runs fine.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Error in original language:
V-79-57344-759 - Der Vorgang für die ausgewählte Ressource unter Verwendung der angegebenen Optionen konnte aus folgendem Grund nicht beendet werden: Fehler beim Öffnen des VFF.  Dies kann durch zu geringen Arbeits- oder Festplattenspeicher verursacht werden.

Auftrag beendet am Donnerstag, 25. September 2014 um 04:59:04
Abschlussstatus: Fehlgeschlagen
Endgültiger Fehler: 0xe00002f7 - Ein Extrahieren der Mailbox-Nachrichten aus dem Exchange-Backup ist nicht möglich. Im Auftragsprotokoll finden Sie zusätzliche Informationen.

Endgültige Fehlerkategorie: Ressourcenfehler

Zusätzliche Informationen zu diesem Fehler finden Sie unter der Verknüpfung V-79-57344-759

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

Try refering to the steps found in the following tech document:

Exchange GRT Full or differential backups fail with: Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup and VFF Open failure: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH180039

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

Try refering to the steps found in the following tech document:

Exchange GRT Full or differential backups fail with: Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup and VFF Open failure: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH180039

ababh
Level 3

Thanks for the help.

I made the changes, but the backup still fails with the same error.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If the disk backup is successful, but fails to tape, then could be due to "staging".

On the Exchange server, browse to the following path in the registry ~

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Exchange

Create a new String named "OnHostTemp" and set the value as C:\Temp (or any other NTFS, local volume on the Exchange server which has plenty of free space to stage the entire Information Store)

Restart the BE services on the BE server and the Exchange server and then retry the backup.

ababh
Level 3

Thank you, but we have already tried that and it did not help too

(please see list of things we have tried in frist post)

The exchange database "PRIVDB02" which fails is 55GB while the chosen OnHostTemp volume got 109GB free space

On the same server there is also another database "PRIVDB01" which is 170GB and a public folder database which is 161GB

all three databases are backed up in one single job, but only "PRIVDB02" fails, even if it is the smallest of them

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you tried backing up  "PRIVDB02" in its own job and not together with the other databases?

ababh
Level 3

No, we didn't.

But somehow the backup is working normaly again since 2 Days.

Maybe it's the combination of both solution or i've missied a Restart after one of them?

Thanks for your help!

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Can you mark the solutions that helped ? Or list them in your own post.

ababh
Level 3

Sadly I don't know what helped, because i didn't change anything on the day before it suddenly started working again.

I believe it was both in combination:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH180039

and:

If the disk backup is successful, but fails to tape, then could be due to "staging".

On the Exchange server, browse to the following path in the registry ~

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Exchange

Create a new String named "OnHostTemp" and set the value as C:\Temp (or any other NTFS, local volume on the Exchange server which has plenty of free space to stage the entire Information Store)

Restart the BE services on the BE server and the Exchange server and then retry the backup.

Hi Laurie,

I am on BE2016, with Exchange 2016...

I was getting 100% success rates with Exhange 2010, but now that we have migrated to Ex2016, I am also getting this old error. I have tried the DWORD mentioned in the article (which I assume is NOT a typo in that there is a space in the DWORD name)... rebooted, ran another incremental, and the same error popped up.

(please advise if I should now remove the DWORD, or if it's safe to leave with BE2016/Ex2016)

Any thoughts? Or something I am missing?

Here is the exact text of the error:

October 25, 2017 12:23:48 AM - V-79-57344-759 - The backup selection '\\Crom.aquilonia.orb\Microsoft Information Store\Mailbox Database xxxx2' was not successfully processed for Granular Recovery Technology (GRT). The Database Recovery failed with Error '*Null*'. You will not be able to restore individual items for this backup selection
Job Completion Status
Job ended: October 25, 2017 at 12:23:49 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00002f7 - Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup. Review the job log for more information.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-759

Thanks!

Hi Andrew
I have the same problem as you
Did you solved it?!