cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Backups Keep Failing

arrow_203
Level 4
I've been struggling with an issue for well over a year now.  We do a remote backup of three Exchange information stores.  Intermittently, backup jobs will begin failing with 0xe00002fe errors:

Job ended: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 at 8:34:45 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00002fe - Cannot log on to MAPI with the specified credentials. Review the resource credentials for the job, and then run the job again.
Final error category: Resource Errors

In the past, a reboot of the Exchange server solved the problem.  Now, this error is ocurring in spite of reboots.  Using the "resource credentials" pane on the job selection list, a "test all" results in "A communications error has ocurred."  I have tried other domain administrative accounts besides the service account set up for Backup Exec, to the same effect.  I have restarted all servers involved, and have run LiveUpdate on the media server and the bulk update utility against the Exchange server to ensure the software is completely up to date.  At this point, I'm pretty much stuck. 

If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

arrow_203
Level 4

Sorry for going dark on this, everyone.  In my case it ended up being an external virtualization issue, and not a problem with either application at all (Backup Exec or Exchange).  There were some I/O issues on the VM host causing the VSS snapshot writer to time out before a snapshot could be created.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Arrow,

There could be any number of reasons from the service account you use not having the correct permissions to Exchange, to the corrupt installation of your Exchange management tools.
Check the link below, and see if it helps. If it does/doesn't, please post the results here.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/311718.htm

Thanks!

Alexxx
Level 3
i had this problem ages ago, what version of exchange are you using?

arrow_203
Level 4
2007 SP3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Any news on this Mike?

Mahesh_Roja
Level 6

Do the following steps to resolve this problem

1. Uninstall MAPI and CDO from exchange server.

2. Reboot exchange server

3. Download latest CDO from Microsoft site

4. Install downloaded CDO (Version 1.2.1) and reboot exchange server

This problem occurs in case of curruption in installed MAPI client.

Above procedure has resolved my exchange problem and hope it helps you  as well.

For more info

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/cannot-log-mapi-specified-credentials-0#comment-31458...

theseng99
Level 4

I just facing your problem 1 month ago. I do many thing for fix it.

1. I have deleted and create new selection list to fix it.

2. this solution is restart service before backup EVERY Mon-Fri.  please try it with this script. Create .bat file and copy this code to paste it.

@echo off
echo ========================================
echo        Script restart backup exec
echo ========================================

net stop "Backup Exec Agent Browser"
net stop "Backup Exec Job Engine"
net stop "Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems"
net stop "Backup Exec Server"
net stop "Backup Exec Device & Media Service"

net start "Backup Exec Agent Browser"
net start "Backup Exec Job Engine"

echo Finish logon script
echo End

Hope it will help you.

arrow_203
Level 4

Sorry for going dark on this, everyone.  In my case it ended up being an external virtualization issue, and not a problem with either application at all (Backup Exec or Exchange).  There were some I/O issues on the VM host causing the VSS snapshot writer to time out before a snapshot could be created.

ronbombard
Level 2

I had nearly the exact same issue....  it was Kaspersky Antivirus on my Hyper-v host...  uninstalled, and reinstalled the AV, and the problem went away.  (after months of hair pulling).