cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Backups failing with error code E0001211

etm
Level 3

My exchange backups are failing with the following error:

Final error: 0xe0001211 - The volume that is used for the staging location must be a writable NTFS volume that is local to the Backup Exec Server.  Also, the volume must have the same sectore size as the volume from which the exhcange log files were backed up.  See the job log for details.  Final error category: Resource Errors.

I did come across the article on the Symantec site for this particular error, but its not that helpful what so ever.  I did make sure that the Temp folder is not hidden on the drive of the media server and it has more than enough space.  I'm not using AOF and using GRT.  Any suggestions would be apprecaited.  Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

etm
Level 3

I went ahead and changed the volume and ran the job.  It finished successfully.  Will continue to monitor and let you guys know.  Thank you for the replies.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

William_Donigan
Level 4
Employee

Hello,

Verify that you have all the necessary requirements to backup Exchange per the following tech document –“ http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO24128”.

On both the Backup Exec server and the Exchange server run the following command in command prompt “fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo  (Drive Letter)” for example fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo  c:.

Check the Bytes Per Sector to see if they match on the staging location on the Backup Exec server and the volume on Exchange server were the Exchange databases/ Exchange log files reside.

etm
Level 3

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.  Everything as far as having the ability to backup an exchange server is set properly within backupexec as I have two exchange servers and the other exchange server is backing up fine.  I also ran that command that you suggested on both volumes of the media server and exchange server and they both match.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...have you tried to recreate the backup job for the Exchange server giving you this error?

Thanks!

etm
Level 3

Thank you for the reply,

This is actually a new server that I just built so the job is new.  It was happening on my older server, but it fixed itself.  On the new server since setting it up it has not run a good back up at all.  I did watch it for some time and the job makes it all the way through completetion but craps out on the verify when its finished.

William_Donigan
Level 4
Employee

Does this issue happen if you change the temporary GRT staging location to another volume?

You can find and change the temporary GRT staging location setting in the following locations;

Backup Exec 2012-Backup Exec Button -> Configuration and Settings -> Backup Exec Settings->Granular Recovery Technology

Backup Exec 2010- Tools -> Options ->Job Defaults ->Backup/Restore.

etm
Level 3

I have not tried a different volume, but have thought about it.  I'm testing another run of the job now to see if it will go through.  I will then try moving the staging location to a seperate volume to see if that resolves the issue.  I'll let you know how it goes.

etm
Level 3

I went ahead and changed the volume and ran the job.  It finished successfully.  Will continue to monitor and let you guys know.  Thank you for the replies.