cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange CPS, "no selections exist for this resource"

Jamie_Starkel
Level 4
I have a new Exchange server I set up to test out CPS, with only my own mailbox on it. I can do full backups of Exchange with no problems. When I schedule a CPS job and run it, it will kick off the first full and then do recovery points every couple of hours. When I go into the restore menu, it has the CPS Recovery Points listed but when I click of them, it just says "No selections exist for this resource". It doesn't have the Information Store or anything else listed. The initial full that I kicked off in the CPS job has also disappeared.
1 REPLY 1

perry_baker
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Jamie,

If the initial full is "gone" then the subsequent recovery points should also be gone.

For example:
The Full runs on Sunday at 11:00 PM.
Recovery Points are made every 8 hours (default).
...along comes Tuesday and for what ever reason the media used in the Sunday Full gets overwritten, erased or any other action that destroys the data on it.
At that point the Recovery Points taken since the Full on Sunday should follow the same fate.

In your case, it sounds like something happened to the initial Full that has left the restore selection in an inconsistent state. In a state that the Full is not displayed but the entries for the Recovery Points are displayed but invalid.

I would suggest you clear everything out for the backup job on the BE server, the CPS server and the B2D folder used...start over.

Run the Exchange Continuous job by itself, no other data except Exchange.
Dedicate the B2D folder used in that job solely for the Exchange Continuous job.
Create a new Media Set solely for the Exchange Continuous job and give it 18 hours of overwite protection time and an append time of infinite.
Create you Exchange Continuous job and specify recovery points every hour, specify your dedicated B2D folder, specify your dedicated Media Set.
Run the Full backup and allow it to complete.
Run loadsim.exe (MS Exchange tool used to populate the IS with data) for 1 or 2 users; this should populate a couple hundred megs in the IS. The idea is to pump up the Exchange Logs to make sure CPS has something to replicate and BE has something from which to actually generate Recovery Points.
Monitor the Recovery Points for a while. This should show you what you are looking for...which is to see how this will work.