cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange DAG Backup performance

dkins
Level 3
Partner

We are using Backup Exec 2010 to backup an Exchange 2010 DAG. Two of the DAG nodes are located on the same LAN as the backup server and the job goes to a tape library.

One of the DAG nodes was recently replaced with a faster performing server. There are 22 databases and approx 2TBs to backup. I can see the backup is using the new DAG node.

The job rate is good at the start but when it gets to the end of a database, the job states it is "running" but no data is traversing the NICs and the byte count doesn't change. It takes forever to move onto the next database.

It would be great to know what it is actually doing? Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It could be that BE is parsing the database so that it can do GRT restore of individual items

dkins
Level 3
Partner

thanks, any idea how I can verify what the job is doing? I'll get the usual "it worked before" :)

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

When the Status is "Running", what is Current Operation displaying ? is it backup or verify or catalog ?

dkins
Level 3
Partner

It is showing backup

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

It may be doing GRT cataloging. Couple of options. You could either enable debug and check or better still, run a non-GRT backup and check if the same issue reoccurs or not. If not, then its definitely cataloging.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
.... which was what I was suggesting earlier

dkins
Level 3
Partner

looks like it was related to vss, GRT was disabled all along. Once this was modified in the job it was back to the usual speed.

thanks.