cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange DAG duplicate Job to tape "...Timestamp -515 error"

goro1503
Level 4

Hello all,

I've BE2012 SP1a on an windows 2008 R2 installation. I have a backup job which backs up an exchange 2010 DAG. As seen on my screenshot,

the fullbackup to my B2D devices  runs ok. But the copy job gives most of the time an error message which states:

"V-79-57344-759 Unable to complete the operation. The following error was returned when opening th Exchange Database file: '-515 The timestamp in the next log does not match the expected timestamp.'

I don't understand this error message, since the fullbackup did the job without error. I think, the copy job should just copy the" backed up date" from my

B2D device and write these data to the tapes.

Question:

1) So what does this error message mean?

2) Why does this job check timestamp date from logfiles an not just take the data from my B2D device an write these data to tape?.

3) Somewhere in the readme file from the just released SP2 i've seen a passus which references the "-515 error", but in another context. Should I install
    the SP2 Patch?

regards

goro1503

18 REPLIES 18

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

The SP2 patch would have a list of errors it fixes...if this is 1 of them, it's a recommendation to install SP2 before push-installing to your remote servers.

Thanks!

Borealis
Level 4

Hi,

I had the same message during my DAG duplicate to tape job (run immediately after backup to deduplication). It's not very often but the last month appeared a couple of times. The only workaround was to run a full backup otherwise all daily incrementals failed with the same message.

I have a prolong case still open with Enterprise Technical support about several issues but for this particular one I recall that they said it will be included in the long waiting hotfixes of SP2

goro1503
Level 4

Hi CraigV and Borealis

CraigV: In the readme of SP2 is mentioned:

- GRT Restore of Exchange Mailbox fails with "-515 The timestamp in the next log does not match the expected timestamp" (TECH188881)

It's the same kind og error, but not the same context. So i'm not sure, whether SP2 fixes this error.

Could you answer me, why does the copy job check the timestamp of a logfile? Is it not just a copy from the backed-up date from my B2D device??

------------------

Borealis: Thanks for your answer. Did you try this SP2 ? See also my answer to CraigV. I didn't find and explicite mention of a fix for this error in the readme of SP2.

regards

goro1503

Borealis
Level 4

Hi goro1503,

Sorry, but possibly I cause a little mess with my previous post. The fact is that I got this error (515) but for a backup to dedup and not to tape job.

No, I did not try SP2 yet because as I mention before  I'm under an open case with Enterprise Technical Support (running debuggers etc) so they will tell me when it's good to proceed. BUT, below is an excerpt from their  recent communication with me regarding  -515, where they clearly state that a solution might be included in SP2. and that is the the reason I also said so.

"..The errors seems to match to another known issue currently under our engineering team's investigation. Fortunately, this issue will be fixed in SP2 for BE 2012 which is expected to be released in this month (July 2013). So, I will keep this case open and contact you once SP2 for BE 2012 is released to assist you in applying the same on the media servers and remote exchange servers and then test the backup results for Full and Incremental jobs to dedup folder."

Regards

goro1503
Level 4

Hi Borealis,

thanks for clarifying this. Hope you make progress with your call with symantec.

I think, I'll have to wait, maybe CraigV has an answer for me. Otherwise I'm going to open a call

with symantec.

Regards

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

This looks like a known defect of BE 2010 which is not fixed

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH194352

BE 2012 shows the same traits as that

A support case might help

Borealis
Level 4

I agree with Kunal

I think a support case will be the fastest way for a permanent solution goro1503. The same time debug logging must be enabled in your media server in order to help them to pinpoint the problem the next time it appears.

goro1503
Level 4

Hi Kunal and Borealis,

thanks for your answer and the link to the TECH194352.

I'll open a call, but i'm not verry confident that this will help.

regards

lmosla
Level 6

Hello goro1503,

Yes, I agree that you should open a call with support so that they can dig further into the possible causes of the error.  but in the mean time check your windows events to see if you are getting any errors that may point to conflicts that are occurring during your copy job. 

goro1503
Level 4

Hi all,

I just want to keep you informed about the progress of  my support case with symantec. First of all:

I've never had such a fast response from symantec supportyes. It took them just a few minutes to respond to my opening call. "I had the feeling, they where waiting for my call smiley". I was told by a "senior technician from backupexec" that I should install BE2012 SP2. This should fix my problem. He als told me, if the issue still remains, I should mail him to get a call back.

Since I'm off for a week, i'll try to install the SP2 the other week and see how this SP2 behaves.

In the meantime, I'll check this forum, to see how the experience from other users is with this SP2.

regards

goro1503

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If the issue is resolved please come here again and close this thread.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...no resolution, but it appears that it will be done within the next 2 weeks...

Borealis
Level 4

Hello people,

The solution to the problem was definetely the SP2. At least in my case, after SP2 installation no more "..time stamp -515 error" failures. I also had an open case with ETS regarding this problem and their official answer was "... the problem will be sorted when SP2 has been applied"

goro1503
Level 4

Hi

just to keep you informed. I'm back from my hollidays. I've installed the SP2 as told by symantec support.
Since then the error -515 has disappeared. But now I get this error:

V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation for the following reason: VFF Open Failure. This can be caused by low memory or disk resources.

Job ended: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 at 03:00:18
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00002f7 - Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup. Review the job log for more information.
Final error category: Resource Errors

During the "backup to disk" there is no error. But the above error shows allways when the duplicate to tape job is running. The error will be created now and then, not every night.

I don't know, where to check the low memory or disk resource, since the tapes in my library have enough
space free.

Does someone have an idea what's wrong?

Besides this effect, SP2 has change the way it writtes the exchange-log files to the B2D device.
So I can't use our inhouse long-time defined restore-strategy. But that's another story.

regards goro1503

Borealis
Level 4

Try the solution described in the following TN:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH127758

...from my experience use directly the 600 value. If you still have the same issue after the changes, maybe you have to use an even biger value but this can be happen only by Technical Support approval so you will need to file a case with them.

goro1503
Level 4

Hi Borealis

thanks for your prompt answer. Just a little question about the solution in your mentioned TECH.
In the TECH doku, there is the value-name written with spaces.

Key : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VirtFile
Value: VFF Extended Timeout
Is this correct???

Then, should this value already be there, or do I have to create one?
I
Then, do I understand this correctly, I have just to restart all the BE-agent-services on the exchange servers,
and not also on the BE-Media server??

regards goro1503

Borealis
Level 4

Hi goro1503,

-) the value with spaces

-) if it is not you have to create it (remember dword and decimal value)

-) Exchnage servers the remote agent service \ Backup exec server all services

Cheers

goro1503
Level 4

Hi Borealis,

I've implemented the first point in your mentioned TECH note. This didn't work.

Now I'm trying the other points in the TECH note.

regards goro1503