cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange GRT restore - Unable to open the item Database - skipped.

mmeeggaann
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Exchange 2010 restore fails with "0xe00003bf - Cannot open one or more mail messages because of unknown Exchange Web Service errors"

Environment:

Exchange 2010 DAG - 1 active copy, 1 passive copy

2 servers with CAS role  - NLB 

The backup with GRT enabled works just fine, but I tried to restore an email to test and it failed:

Job Completion Status 

Job ended: Friday, February 14, 2014 at 2:51:23 PM

Completed status: Failed

Final error: 0xe00003bf - Cannot open one or more mail messages because of unknown Exchange Web Service errors. Review the job log for more information.

Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-959

Errors 

Click an error below to locate it in the job log

V-79-57344-959 - Unable to open the item Database - skipped.

Regarding this error, I found the following TN:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH190749

But, I tried both solutions and it still doesn't work:

Restore redirect to the CAS server

and

Add in the host file the hostname and IP address

Does anyone have any ideas about what else it could be?

Media server is Backup Exec 2012 SP3, in fact it is the appliance 3600 R2.

14 REPLIES 14

Ananya_Bhattach
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Are the CAS servers virtual? This can happen when the Exchange CAS role is installed on a VM.

Also, redirect restore to the CAS server will fail if the data is on tape, however if the data is on disk, it should work (it will not when the CAS role is installed on a VM).

So if CAS is not a virtual machine then a redirect restore to the CAS server from disk can be tried as a workaround. Is the data on tape or on disk? If on tape is there a possibility that it can be duplicated to disk storage and then redirect restored from there?

mmeeggaann
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thank Ananya,

Mailbox servers are physical (DAG), and CAS servers (NLB) are virtual (VMware virtual machines)

Restoring to its original location fails and also redirecting  to CAS server fails.

The Backup Exec server is an BE appliance, and the backup is stored on dedup disk.

mmeeggaann
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Should I install Exchange Management tools manually to BE appliance as requirement for Exchange Granular restore?

William_Donigan
Level 4
Employee

Before installing Exchange Management tools manually to the BE appliance please run through the following tech document -"http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH199583"otherwise Ops Center will not work.

Ananya_Bhattach
Level 5

Was redirection done to NLB name or physical name of CAS? The name should be whatever the output is for the command Get-ClientAccessServer in Powershell

Yes, please install Exchange Management tools. However, follow the article William Donigan provided first. 

mmeeggaann
Level 5
Partner Accredited
It seems I'm not able to follow the TN before installing Exchange Management tools... I can't open  IIS Manager... 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb763170.ASPX

In fact, it says that the installation of Exchange Management tools, also installs IIS.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH199583

So... I'll install Exchange Management tools, then I'll  follow the TN to correct IIS port. 

Ananya, I did both test... redirecting to NLB and to any of the 2 CAS Servers. It didn't work.

Thanks!

Ananya_Bhattach
Level 5

Please log a support case for this, it looks like it will need indepth analysis

mmeeggaann
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Exchange Management Tools is now installed on the appliance and the restore is not working yet. 

We now have a support case open. 
I'll keep you posted in order to help other people with the same issue.

MarcoFromBavari
Level 2

We've got the same problem here:

2010 Exchange with DAG and 2 virtual Exchange Servers (both with all rules) and a Citrix Load Balancer.

The backup runs fine but the recovery process won't work.

Auftrag beendet am Donnerstag, 17. Juli 2014 um 15:11:33
Abschlussstatus: Fehlgeschlagen
Endgültiger Fehler: 0xe00003bf - Kann eine oder mehrere E-Mail-Nachrichten nicht öffnen, da unbekannte Exchange-Web-Service-Fehler aufgetreten sind. Beachten Sie das Auftragsprotokoll wegen weiterer Informationen.
Endgültige Fehlerkategorie: Ressourcenfehler

Zusätzliche Informationen zu diesem Fehler finden Sie unter der Verknüpfung V-79-57344-959

Modifying the hosts-file did not solve the problem...

Any help would be nice:)

Problemcruncher
Level 2

Excatly the same problem over here:

Exchange 2010 DAG - 1 active copy, 1 passive copy (2 HyperV VMs)

2 servers with CAS role  - NLB (2 HyperV VMs)

The backup with GRT works fine, but restore of an email fails:

Final error: 0xe00003bf - Cannot open one or more mail messages because of unknown Exchange Web Service errors. Review the job log for more information.

Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-959

Errors 

Click an error below to locate it in the job log

As Ananya Bhattacharya states this could be a problem that the CAS Server are VMs? I don't see a possible connection between virtualization and this error.

Ananya Bhattacharya proposed to open a suppot case. Has the case been opened and has someone finally figured out a solution or what the cause of the problem is? More than 6 Months now since first post.

MarcoFromBavaria: I am from Germany, too. Have you solved the problem? 

MarcoFromBavari
Level 2

@Problemcruncher

Da mir hier niemand weiterhelfen konnte, haben wir auf BackupExec 2014 upgegraded.

Zusätzlich hab ich dem Backup-Exec-User noch folgende Rechte spendiert (ich denke, dass es evtl. damit schon in der 2012er Version geklappt hätte):

- Organization Management

- Public Folder Management

- Recipient Management

- Server Management

Damit passt bei uns alles so, wie es sein sollte.

Viel Erfolg!!!

Marco

Problemcruncher
Level 2

Hallo!

vielen Dank die schnelle Rückmeldung! Ich probiere gleich mal aus, ob es unter BE 2012 was hilft.

Liebe Grüße und schönes Wochenende

Stephan

khoagk
Level 3

is there a solution for this yet?

Problemcruncher
Level 2

Sorry, no solution at all. I pimped the RAM of the Exchange Server from 8 GB to 24 GB and moved it to a faster Hypervisor. This helped a little, the error comes now only about very 10 days.