cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange GRT restore not showing mailboxes or public folders

Eddie_Wilson
Level 4
I have enabled the GRT option for our Exchange 2003 backups. When I attempt to select a Mailbox or Public folder for restoring the only thing there is the Information Store. Why can't i see the Mailboxes and Public folders?
48 REPLIES 48

Cameron_Kowaliw
Level 3
I am using the administrator account and yes it does have a mailbox.  It is not hidden from the GAL.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
That's not helping me here Smiley Tongue

I'm going to message you some steps to follow.

Cameron_Kowaliw
Level 3
Trust me... I feel your pain.Smiley Wink

I can't see anything different from other clients that run v11 on an sbs 2003 exchange box either.

This client was a clean install to v12.  Seems that GRT only works when backing up to disk??  Thanks for your assistance with this issue.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Well what is happening is the backup is actually successful, it's just when BE tries to build the catalog for the GRT selections is where it's failing.  The process for building the catalogs when going to disk and tape and two different things.  So once I get all the instructions I have for you it will require you to run a backup of exchange to tape when ever possible.

Tony_Cable
Level 3
Hi,

we're having the same problem.  the job is saying its successfull, but nothing there in the individual mailboxes.  it was working, and apart from installing backup exec service pack 1, we've not changed anything but it seems to have stopped working.
we back up directly to tape.

can anyone help please? 

Speedy_Gen
Not applicable
Hello

We have exactly the same problem.

We have Exchange 2003 and backing up using BE12, straight to tape, we can backup to disk with no issues, but can not see any items when backing up to tape.

How do we fix this issue?

Thanks 

tscott
Level 2
Add another to the list. I have the same problems.. works fine when using disk2disk, but tape backups dont work.

Spaceumper
Level 0

I have the same issue here. Some help would be appreciated. It is weird that you can see the mailboxes and their contents when a Backup to Disk is performed but not in the case of a Backup to Tape

tony_xi
Level 2

I have the question !!

help!

hollow
Not applicable
I have the exact same problem on a freshly loaded server.   Any solutions/fixes on this issue? Administrator account has a mailbox, has exchange rights, not hidden from the GAL, is a domain admin

TheCat
Not applicable

exactly the same problem here. Does anyone can help?

THX!!!!

Siddharth
Not applicable
Yes, I have the same issue as well. Any help?

tscott
Level 2
So no tech support here? hello? anyone from symantec? hello? Your product doesnt work.

Edward_Charles
Level 6

With this latest version and the latest Exchange remote agents installed you can now simply restore individual messages and mailboxes from the MS Information Store backup instead (before you could only restore the entire store from here). The very slow Mailbox and Public folder store backups (which was the second slow backup of Exchange, really) are no longer required.

There is a huge amount of learning to do now with v12 compared to 10d.

I've noticed however when trying to do a restore from a Diff backup all I have is the Logfiles folder instead of the users mailboxes when I try to restore from a Full backup. Not sure what's going on there...

Hope that helps a bit?

Regards,

RNW
Level 3

Hi All,

I've got the same problem. SBS2003 fully patched and service packed. Backup Exec 12 fully patched. Can only restore individual messages\mailboxes from Backup to Disk. Backup to tape just not having any.

Hellooooo- Symantec. Any help please?

Cornerstone
Not applicable

Hi,

I have a slight twist to this problem.

We have two file servers running Server 2003, fully patched.

One has BackupExec 11d fully updated, the other has 12.5.

We have two Exchange 2007 servers, on the Server 2003 platform (fully patched)

Both backup to tape only, both complete the backup of Exchange with no errors.

When I go to do a restore, I can select individual mailboxes & mailbox folders but CANNOT select any Public folders, it just shows (none) in the window.

Any help to resolve this would be welcomed.

Anup
Level 6
Certified
Its by design GRT backup of public folder to tape does not show restore selection list.
13.  GRT backup to tape will display granular restore data for Mailboxes only . GRT backup must be written to a B2d device to display granular restore data for Public Folders
Backup Exec 11d Best Practices Guide: Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server

RNW
Level 3

Anup.

Any idea on what's going on for the rest of us? Unable to restore individual mail items and mailboxes from backup to tape? B2D is fine.

I wonder how many posts are needed for Symantec to bother replying????

DP-a
Level 2
I have the same problem as Cornerstone. With 11d I can restore individual mailboxes from tape, but not individual public folders. Even though in the admin guide on page 1225 it says: "Backup Exec protects Exchange data, including the individual storage group, database, mailbox, and public folder with full,

copy, incremental, and differential backups."

I'll try the B2D scenario and if that works I guess I'll have to make do, but it's not what the product promises.

Anup
Level 6
Certified

But GRT is supported with only FuLL and Increamental backup jobs.

If you are taking GRT increamental , then it is only supported through policy and has to be on B2D.

along with FULL also on B2D.