cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange GRT restore not showing mailboxes or public folders

Eddie_Wilson
Level 4
I have enabled the GRT option for our Exchange 2003 backups. When I attempt to select a Mailbox or Public folder for restoring the only thing there is the Information Store. Why can't i see the Mailboxes and Public folders?
48 REPLIES 48

DP-a
Level 2

But even with full and incremental backups it's not supported on tape backups, right? I tried the B2D method last night and now I can restore individual items from the public folders as well. It's an alternative, though not how I wish it'd work.

Is this designed behaviour then? Howcome I can restore single e-mails from users' mailboxes from tape jobs but not single e-mails from public folders? Now I'm stuck with both a B2D and a tape backup taking extra disk space and time during my backup window.

Ditmeion1
Not applicable

Well I've been watching this thread over a month now, hoping on a solution. 

I have the exact same problems reported in this thread...B2D works fine, cannot see any mailboxes when I backup to tape. 

My Exchange 2007 has not gone into our live production environment, so I thought it would have been resolved by now....well I have to go live in a week.

Today I decided to upgrade to BE 12.5 & it worked the first time through!

We have a maintenance agreement, so the upgrade did not cost anything.(except the maintenance agreement itself)

My setup is a 32bit 2003 backup server, backing up Exchange 2007 across the wire....the public folder is still an issue & I have a B2D solution going on for that, but now I can fully commit Exchange 2007 mailboxes to tape & not have to backup to disk.

Not really a great solution for some of you, but upgrading to 12.5 works like a charm.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

All,

These forums are Peer-To-Peer forums.  Symantec employees will post here when we are available to do so.

Dp-a, the issue you are reporting, not being able to restore public folder items from tape is an issue that is working as designed.  If you wish to restore individiual items from public folders you will either need to back them up to disk, or duplicate them from tape to disk then restore the items.  This is documented in the Admin guide for versions 11d, 12, and 12.5.  It is on page 1261 of the 12.5 Administrators guide, which you can view at this link. ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/308400.pdf

RNW, I would suggest calling into support to have us look into the issue with you.  Here is the link to Technical support's contact information. http://www.symantec.com/business/support/contact_techsupp_static.jsp

noodles
Level 4

Hi,

same problem here.

BE 12, Backup of Exchange 2003 Enterprise SP1.

Trying to restore individual mailboxes from GRT Backup to Tape - mailboxes are not shown...

Any news on this?

regards

Message Edited by Stefan Delfs on 02-17-2009 04:03 PM

Vinay_S
Level 3
Hello All:

Any updates on this..!?  I am having the same problem with my BE 12 installation.  Here is some info:

BackupExec server: BE 12 SP2 + all hotfixes except one (not upgraded to SP3, not installed Hotfix 315656)
Exchange 2003 Ent server: has all latest service packs (SP2) and updates
Exchange backup jobs are run with the foll settings:
     - Full (database and logs - flush committed logs)
     - Use Backup exec GRT is enabled
     - Perform consistency check before backup... :enabled
          - Continue with backup if consistency check fails... :enabled
     - Advanced Open File 
          - Use Advanced open File Option... :checked
          - Automatically select open file technology... :radio button selected
     - Process logical volumes for backup one at a time.. :NOT checked  (I had problems with this a while ago when used with Exchange backups)

I remember sometime ago (probably in 11d).. I used to be able to select individual mailboxes in the selection list for an Exchange restore job.. but now I cant.  The "Mailbox Store" does not expand to reveal individual user mailboxes.. it just says "None" in the right hand pane.  We have been on 12 (upgraded from 11d to 12) since last year April/May 2008.

Any help is greatly appreciated.. :)

Thanks,
VS.

Vinay_S
Level 3
Allright.. it started working for me again..  In my case, I noticed that the account that was being used to backup the Exchange database was not the System Logon Account. I have no idea how this had gotten changed, maybe a hotfix reset it or something...  Also, I noticed that my Exchange backups werent being catalogued properly.. With GRT enabled, Exchange backup catalog files are pretty huge.. I get about 350 MB catalog files for every full backup of my Exchange db (~85 GB).  I noticed that my catalog files (for the Exch backup job) were a few MB at most..

The steps I followed were:
1. Ensure the System Logon Account is set to Default.. this can be done from Network > Logon Accounts
2. Ensure the actual domain account (which is the System Logon Account from step 1) has the correct permissions to backup Exchange. This domain account usually has to be added in the Security properties tab of the Exchange server in question, using Exchange Ssystem Manager. Refer to the BE 12 Admin Guide for full details.
3. Ensure the Exchange backup job which backs up the Information Store is set to use the above System Logon Account as the "service account" (in my case, it somehow wasnt!).  An easy way to check this is.. temporarily enable "Legacy Mailbox Support" for the Exchange backup job (if you are on Exch 2000 or 2003), and manually see if you can at least select individual mailboxes for backup on the Exchange server.  I got a warning here saying the "service account" being used for my backup job does not have the correct permissions.
4. After setting this, I could select individual mailboxes for backup with Legacy Mailbox Support (LMS) enabled. Then I disabled LMS, rebooted the server last night, the Exchange backup job ran fine this morning.. and now I can select individual mailboxes in a restore job from this morning's backup (and sure enough, the catalogs generated this morning were about 380 MB!)

Hope this helps.. :)

Thanks,
VS

chockla
Level 3
Here is my issue,

We have a server that had Backup Exec 11.0 and was upgraded to 12.5. We were able to see the MS Exchange public folders when going to edit manage selections fine. Here is the fun one we have a new server that did not have any previos versions of Backup Exec installed that we installed Backup Exec 12.5 on. The new server with 12.5 however, we unable to see or select public folders.
The question is what would be different between the two to cause one not to see the MS Echange public folder from being able to be selected viewed from the manage selection list on the new server.

Now the jobs, policies, templates were imported from the old server. So the backups run and you can see that the public folders are being backed up.
Another quesiton could this be a subtle registry difference or maybe due to this new server being setup should we re-push the agent out to the exchange server from the new server?

Thanks,
Chockla

Lively
Level 5
1st.  I would start a new thread as this one is over a year old at this point.

2nd.  If it is a new build, I would make sure the Exchange MGT tools are installed, as that is a common "oops" when setting up a new server for Backup Exec if you do not deal with it often.

chockla
Level 3
Thanks,

Yeah I tried to start a new thread, but the issue was that everytime I tried to start one it would error out stating I did not select a product. I selected a product several times and it would not post the new thread. So, I posted here.

Thanks for the help I will check to make sure that is installed if it already is installed, is there anything else I need to check?