cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Information Store not available in selection list

yakattack
Level 4

I have a new backup server with Backup Exec 2010 R3.  I am trying to backup the Information store on the Exchange 2007 (SP1) server but it is not available on the selection list.  I can backup the flat files of the server.

I do have the Exchange agent license.

Troubleshooting:

Uninstalled and reinstalled remote agent on the Exchange server (several times)

Uninstalled and reinstalled the Exchange option on the media server

Did a "repair" of Backup Exec on the media server

Ran BE_Support Tool.exe (in the RAWS directory) on the Exchange Server.  No Warnings.  (It did originally say that I needed to run a VSS hotfix which I did).  Permmissions all check out.

Ran remote agent in debug mode.  some dlls "not found": Example:  bedsxchg.dll could not be loaded: The specified module could not be found.

The following article talks about this issue with BUE 12.  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH58430

S

34 REPLIES 34

yakattack
Level 4

I created a new account and check the following, same result.  

The Exchange Administrator Account Backup Exec uses to attach to the Exchange Server must have the following:

• A uniquely named mailbox within the Exchange organization that is getting backed up
  • The first five characters of that mailbox name must be unique within the Exchange organization.
  • The mailbox for that account cannot be disabled or hidden from the Global Address List
  • This mailbox must also have sent and received mail to and from it.

I checked Exchange versions on the Mgmt Tools and they were off by a little:  8.1.240.0 vs  8.1.436.0 the later has rollup 10 so I updated the media server and they are now exactly the same build number.

I do have the MAPI/CDO installed on the Exchange server

I re-installed RAWS.

Still cannot see the Exchange store. 

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

try replacing esebcli2.dll file from the exch CD...may be a possibility, the file is corrupt...

Also, run the following from the powershell

get-User  -ResultSize unlimited

check, how long does it take for the command to complete

yakattack
Level 4

get-User  -ResultSize unlimited  Takes about one second to start showing results on the Media server

The date stamp on the exchange server and the media server is different for esebcli2.dll  (same file size though).  Shall I copy the one from the exchange server to the media server?

S

VJware
Level 6

yes, copy from the exchange server...or better still, copy from the exchange CD & replace it on both the exchange & media server...

restart the BE services & the remote agent service on the exch server as well

yakattack
Level 4

I'll try with the one from Exchange.  The one from the CD may be an older version before SP1.

S

yakattack
Level 4

Same result.

S

VJware
Level 6

Post the latest debug

And one last thing...didnt check earlier...but is the RAWS on the Exchange server running under local system account ?

yakattack
Level 4

Attached is the latest Debug file.  Along with a screen shot of the RAWS credentials using the system account.

S

VJware
Level 6

Is IPv6 disabled ?

yakattack
Level 4

It was enabled on the media server.  I disabled it and restarted services.  Same result.

The Exchange server is server 2003 so it doesn't have IPv6.

S

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Please open sgmon.exe on media server & check the first box for engine,beremote then check the box beserver then check the box device and media and then check the box 3rd party o/p & finally check the box capture to file

Also open sgmon on exchange server & check the first box with beremote & last 3rd party debug o/p & capture to file

{Please note you can find sgmon by going to C-program file-symantec-backupexec-logs folder were C is the drive were backupexec is installed}

Once you open sgmon on both server try to expand the exchange server from media server selections & then once confirmed Information store is not visible then close sgmon on both the server & then post the sgmon log from both the server here

{Please note you can find sgmon by going to C-program file-symantec-backupexec-logs folder were C is the drive were backupexec is installed}

Thanks

yakattack
Level 4

Thanks for looking at this.  Here are the log files.

The respective server names are MediaSRV and MailSRV

S

yakattack
Level 4

It seems this is the relevant part:  

E2007 GetStorageGroups failed with hr = 0xe000038a for machine = NULL

+++++++++++++

MONAD:    [02/02/12 08:31:10] [0000]     [1] []  BEExch2007Component::ValidCredentials

BEREMOTE: [02/02/12 08:31:09] [5904]     [fsys\shared]        - GetStorageGroups returned e000038a ->

BEREMOTE: [02/02/12 08:31:09] [5904]     [fsys\ese]           - E2007 GetStorageGroups failed with hr = 0xe000038a for machine = NULL

BEREMOTE: [02/02/12 08:31:09] [5904]     [fsys\ese]           - AddESE_DLEs( )

BEREMOTE: [02/02/12 08:31:09] [5904]     [fsys\ese]           - AddESE_DLEs for sever name MAILSRV.DOMAIN.org

MONAD:    [02/02/12 08:31:10] [0000]     [1] []  BEExch2007Component::ValidCredentials

BEREMOTE: [02/02/12 08:31:09] [5904]     [fsys\shared]        - GetStorageGroups returned e000038a ->

BEREMOTE: [02/02/12 08:31:09] [5904]     [fsys\ese]           - E2007 GetStorageGroups failed with hr = 0xe000038a for machine = NULL

BEREMOTE: [02/02/12 08:31:10] [5904]     [fsys\ese]           - AddESE_DLEs( ) 

BEREMOTE: [02/02/12 08:31:10] [5904]     [fsys\ese]           - AddESE_DLEs for sever name MAILSRV.DOMAIN.org

BEREMOTE: [02/02/12 08:31:10] [5904]     [fsys\shared]        - GetStorageGroups returned e000038a ->

BEREMOTE: [02/02/12 08:31:10] [5904]     [fsys\ese]           - E2007 GetStorageGroups failed with hr = 0xe000038a for machine = NULL

BEREMOTE: [02/02/12 08:31:10] [5904]     [beutil]             - Input Error (       0) for Type: (43)

BEREMOTE: [02/02/12 08:31:10] [5904]     [fsys\shared]        - Attach to \\MAILSRV.DOMAIN.org

BEREMOTE: [02/02/12 08:31:10] [5904]     [fsys\shared]        - FS_BlowOutMachine: attached successfully

BEREMOTE: [02/02/12 08:31:10] [5904]     [fsys\shared]        - FS_BlowOutMachine: found -->\\MAILSRV.DOMAIN.org<-- in DLE tree

BEREMOTE: [02/02/12 08:31:10] [5904]     [fsys\shared]        - FS_BlowOutMachine: detaching from newly created DLE

BEREMOTE: [02/02/12 08:31:10] [5904]     [fsys\shared]        - Detach from \\MAILSRV.DOMAIN.org

VJware
Level 6

E2007 getstoragegroups failed with hr - 0xe000038a for machine = null

This usually indicated permissions issues especially if the BE logon account is not an explicit member of the Exchange Organization Administrators group AND / OR if missing rights per http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH51740

EDIT*** also, check the publishing tab of the remote agent utility on the remote server...it should be publishing the right info

yakattack
Level 4

I changed the resource credentials several times during this whole process. Creating new ones and testing always the same result.

Anyway, today I did it one more time and this time it worked.... Wow, all this time it was a credential issue even though the credentials always tested fine.

Thanks to everyone that stuck with this thread,  I really appreciate it.  I've been using BackupExec over 10 years and this one stumped me.  In fact I'm still not sure what is different than day one.  Anyway glad it is fixed.  Cross fingers that the job runs tonight.

S