cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Mailbox Restore

YMI_user
Level 3

Hi,

Our version is Symantec V-ray Edion 2015 and exchange server is 2010 VM. I found that I restore one of email in exchange 2010 mailbox from Apr 2017 but failed. It shows V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation. The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file: '-501 The log file is corrupt. '  Our backup will make offsite backup, daily backup will make to NAS and monthly will use other backup software transfer to tape (Folders - IMG000XX).  Apr 2017 backup (IMG000XX) is restored to NAS and Backup Exec made inventory it. Would you mind give me a help?

Regards,

YM user

6 REPLIES 6

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Did you run incremental / differential backups?

WHen you restored form tape (usib a third party app) were the original patsh restore into -   flat file backups of GRT IMG folders have ot go back ot same paths as there is information inside the folder taht contains the path

Finally

- Flat file backups of disk base backup sets within backup exec are classified as BAD practice and really, really not recommended (because of the problems can then then be seen if you need to restore later) why are you not using Backup Exec to Duplicate the disk based sets to tape instread of some third party product? - at very least if you are still using this multiple product / flat file backup sttategy you should rethink this and change things ASAP.

Hi Moderator      NAS backup path is \\NASNAME\backup\IMG000XX, I will make backup these IMG000XX folders to tape monthly, when make restore,  restore to \\NASNAME\backup\Restore, and use Symantec Backup Exec to inventory and catalog it.

Is that mean our Exchange mailbox backup is invalid? Have any sugguestion can transfer these backup folders to tape without use third party software?

Regards,

YMI user

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
You need to use the agent in order to get proper backups of Exchange.

Colin_Weaver

For transferring backups to tape - attach the tape devices to your Backup Exec server (assuming it is a physical server) Then use Duplicate jobs inside Backup Exec to duplicate the backup sets on disk to tape.

I am not sure what we can do with your current problem, you may ned to log a support case to see if we can help, however be aware that if your backup strategy of using a third party product to backup the IMG folders as flat files turrns out to be a major contributor to your problem it is possible we won't be able to restore anything from those sets

Hi,

Our environment is virtual, Tape drive is not attached to backup server. How can I use Symantec Backup Exec V ray transfer to tape drive?

Regards,

Mr Yu

Colin_Weaver

Hmm Ok so you have a problem - tapes need physical servers - your strategy needs a complete rethink and you may have to install a physical server somewhere - or work out if there is a way to handle your flat file backup strategy so that Backup Exec will be able to index and use the restored from the flats files from your 3rd party product.

Note at this current time I can't comment further on exactly why your flat file strategy has a problem that as it needs a lot more research and details to understand what has gone wrong

We do have technotes that say don't do flat file backups of disk storage that do list some (but not all)  of the reasons why it could go wrong. i.e. http://www.veritas.com/docs/000114126