cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Mailbox missing

G_Werner
Level 3
We have BE 12.5 fully patched on a Windows 2003 Server 32 Bit and an Exchange Agent on a Windows 2003 Server 64 Bit.
All Backups we made were successful and nothing seems to be wrong.

But today we got a look at all the exchange mailbox in the backup and found that only one of the mailboxes are missing and we do not know why.
It is not listet in the list of restorable mailboxes but the mailbox is in the stroge database of the exchange server and running well.
We can only choose to select Mailbox store or nothing and everything is selected in the backup job!

Why is the mailbox missing? 

regards
Gerald Werner
10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Is this mailbox hidden at all...?

G_Werner
Level 3
The Mailbox is not hidden (attribute hidefromaddresslist=false).

regards Gerald

G_Werner
Level 3
Any helpful suggestions?

regards Gerald

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Mmm...got 2:

1. Uninstall RAWS on that affected server, restart your services, and then reinstall them. See if it works.

2. Uninstall your Exchange agent license, and then restart your services. Once done, put the license key in again.

Laters!

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is there a difference between how you created this mailbox and others? Was this migrated from some other version of Exchange? Check the smtp address of this mailbox, is it any different from other mailboxes? Finally, i hope it is an active mailboxes, and a user is associated with it, who can logon to the mailbox. Any difference in legacyexchangedn attribute of this mailbox and others?

Thanks

DarrenW
Level 3

Was the mailbox moved from another storage group sonce the backup?

Have you confirmed that the mailbox in question is in the backup selection list?

Have you tried just backing up (then restoring) that one mailbox, as a test?

Was the mailbox moved from another storage group sonce the backup?

G_Werner
Level 3
Thank you for your reply.
There´s no difference to all the other mailboxes as far as I see. The user is active and the mailbox is running for 11 month with data in it without problems. There is only one one storage group and there was no migration or change at all. I don´t know where to find the "legacyexchangedn attribute".
From the backup selection list I can only select the complete storage group and NOT the single mailbox, so i cannot just select the single mailbox. I can only select a single mailbox if i want to restore. The smtp address ist just one of similar addresses we use.
Tomorrow I will try to reinstall the agents, so stay tuned

regards Gerald

G_Werner
Level 3
Today, I deinstalled  and reinstalled the Remote Agent on the Exchange Server and added a new Backup-Job for the Exchange Datastore Backup. The job runs and again the mailbox is not in the list of restorable mailboxes.
What else can we do?
regards Gerald

G_Werner
Level 3
We have still the problem.
Nobody at symantec with a solution for that problem?

I don´t want to, but maybe it´s time to change the backup software to one I can rely on!

regards Gerald

JJPera
Level 3
Hi

I'm guessing you are backing up the exchange mailbox databse to tape.

We have seen this before and it confused us greatly for a while, but it seems that only a sample of the mailboxes backed up actually show in the restore windows when browsing the tape.

If you stage the database image back from tape to disk somewhere, and then do a restore from the disk you will find that all of the mailboxes are there to choose from.

See if this helps at all.