cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Mailbox not visable after sucessful GRT backup

Tony_Lau
Level 4

Mdeia server is W2k3 with backup exec 11d; Exchange option for restore individual email is selected;

Media: LTO2;

Exchange server is Exchange 2k3Exchange server file level is backuped using domain admin account except information store is backuped using exchange full admin account. After we backup the information store, I've try to restore individual mailbox / mail. But I found that I can view the information store but neither not individual mailbox nor email. I put up a case to tech support and they told me to duplicate the tape to disk before we setup the restore selection. The restore job selection / restore is successful. But this is silly to duplicate a 80G mail store for restore a email with xxxk. Is there any alternative way to do the job? In the other hand, is there a way to guarantee all email us restorable in a regular practice?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

When you created the job, did yo ucheck the option to "enable single item restore"?

if so, and if you backup to tape, or B2D2T, then to restore from tape, BE will need to stage the entire Store to temp space in order to extract the selected items

You could also check the Enable Legacy Mail box support option.  This will use the same method that v9 & v10 used.  This takes a loooooong time on a large store, and there have been lots of problems with restoreing from brick level backups done this way

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

When you created the job, did yo ucheck the option to "enable single item restore"?

if so, and if you backup to tape, or B2D2T, then to restore from tape, BE will need to stage the entire Store to temp space in order to extract the selected items

You could also check the Enable Legacy Mail box support option.  This will use the same method that v9 & v10 used.  This takes a loooooong time on a large store, and there have been lots of problems with restoreing from brick level backups done this way

Tony_Lau
Level 4

Yes, I've checked the option "enable restore individual mailbox".

I understand the procedure.

But this step is a little bit stupid for me (duplicate a huge mailstore to retrieve a small email or mailbox).

In additional, how should we convince management / auditor that each email is restorable in the daily backup job? Verifying the backup of mailstore does not apply that for verification of individual email or mailbox?