cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Question

Level 3
I have Exchange 2000 and BE 9.0. In the selection list I have Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes, MIcrosoft Exchange Public Folders, and Microsoft Information Store.

My question is, if I were to backup just the mailboxes and public folders, do I need to backup the store?

Also, if I backup all three of these, is this taking up twice as much space on the tape?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
For disaster recovery you should backup the Information Store as a minimum. Backing up the Mailboxes and Public folders as well gives you the option to restore just part of Exchange should someone delete something by mistake, but you shouldn't rely on it to enable to restore everything correctly if something goes wrong and you have to restore the entire system from scratch.

Yes, if you backup both the store and the folder it will take up twice as much space, as the same data is literally being backed up twice but in different ways. Also, if memory serves you need to ensure that you have turned on single instance backup, otherwise if any of your staff have large attachments which reside in multiple mailboxes, you'll end up backing up a copy of that file for every single user, rather than just one copy and that linking to the others.

ashwin_pawar
Level 6
Keith has explained very well. Backup IS from disaster point of view otherwise just backup mailbox store or public folder store it will save lot of time and space.

Level 3
Excellent information. Thanks!