cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Store Restore

Brian_Davis
Level 3
I have created a Virtual Exchange environment for testing and DR.  When I try to restore the Exchange store using BE 11d I receive the following message.
The name of the database file in this store is invalid
ID no: c1041737
Exchange System Manager

- I am able to mount an empty database and individually restore mailboxes
- My Virtual environment is set up exactly the same as production,  Exchange server is same name and same version with service pack 2.

Issue appears that BE 11d does not restore the priv1.stm file

Any help is appreciated as I need to be sure I can bring my Exchange server back in the even of failure.

Thank you,
7 REPLIES 7

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
When you perform the restore from do you get an error in the job? Or only when you try to mount the database?

Brian_Davis
Level 3
Ben, I do not receive any errors from the job.  The restore completes succesfully.  The error is received when I try and mount the store.  If I delet the restored database the store wil mount an empty database succesfully.  It appears that teh restore never brings back the priv1.stm.

Thank you

host45_com
Level 2
I have had this issue before, you need to run eseutil and make the old log files become active again.
Then the old database will mount with no problem. I do not remmember what the switches are, eseutil has a ton of them.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
I think the option of using the log files again is tied to the No Loss Restore option for Exchange restores in BE.
If you clear the No Loss Restore option, any existing log files will not be used.
If you use the No Loss Restore option, after restoring the database, the transactions in the log files are rolled forward into the database, however the log files must be the right ones.

Are you using the No Loss Restore option?

Brian_Davis
Level 3
I have tried every Log option and still receive the same results.  Does not matter if I purge or restore transaction logs.  Again all I am trying to do is a total restore of my mailbox store.  If I mount an empty Database I can restore individual mailboxes but will not allow a full mailbox restore as i receive the above mentioned error no matter what restore options I chose.
Thank you again!

Brian_Davis
Level 3
Also meant to mention that I tried using the eseutil on the database.  I receive a jet error every time I do this.  Again it appears that BE is possibly not restoring everything?  I do not get log files restored either from the backup.  Using backup to disk.  So I have the full backup in the IMG files. I have tried multiple differnet backup sets and all receive the exact same issues.

Thank you!

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Brian,

Are you restoring to an RSG or to the store?  Also is this backup a snapshot backup or not?  If it's not the icon next to the backup (date time method) will be 3 folders, if it is it will say "snapshot" in the restore selections.

This is exchange 2003 correct?  I just don't see the version mentioned in any of the posts.