cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange agent question

M_Janne
Level 3
 Hello-

I have a single tape drive (Compaq DLT) in which I am trying to backup Exchange 2000 with.. The backup seems to work fine for backing up my small domain but Exchange is quirky.. I have the Exchange agent installed on the Exchange server and here lies my question. Exchange is on a different server, other than where Veritas is installed so, I installed the Veritas 8.6 Exchange agent on the Exchange server and all I see is Backup Exec running asking to find a tape drive/media etc.. What/how should the agent run and what would it look like.. Is it just a small presence that runs in systray? or should it be running Backup Exec (full version) just like on the other server where Veritas is installed where the tape drive is..

The problem here is that from the Veritas Backup server I can see everything I need to backup including Exchange but I can't drill down and backup the individual components I wish, everything is greyed out but will allow me to do an overall backup of everything on Exchange and I may not want to do that.. Is there some hotfix I'm missing that needs installing? Or, is this just the way the Exchange Veritas agent works without too much functionality? I doubt it and must be doing something out of step.. Any clues?

Thanks

Janne
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marksw
Level 5
 It sounds like you installed the wrong thing on the Exchange server.  All you need to install in the Remote Agent and the OFO (Open File Option) if purchased.  The remote agent simply runs as a service.  You will not see anything in the system tray nor will you see Veritas running on the box.

Mark

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marksw
Level 5
 It sounds like you installed the wrong thing on the Exchange server.  All you need to install in the Remote Agent and the OFO (Open File Option) if purchased.  The remote agent simply runs as a service.  You will not see anything in the system tray nor will you see Veritas running on the box.

Mark

M_Janne
Level 3
 Thanks Mark!

We do have the remote agent and didn't install that, I'll try and let you know.

Thanks

Janne

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Janne,

The way it works is as follows:

* The Exchange agent is loaded as a license on your BEWS media server. This allows the server to see any Exchange instances on a server once the remote agent is installed. (This would be the same as the agents for SQL, Lotus Notes etc). It basically enables that capability to backup Exchange.
* The Remote Agent for Windows is installed on a server that you want to back up. If that server has Exchange installed and running on it, the license you loaded above allows that instance to be seen. All you would see here is that the RAWS agent is installed...NOTHING indicating an agent for Exchange.
* When setting up a backup selection list, you enter a server's IP address/name etc., and when browsing the server, you would be able to see the Exchange instance, and then select it.

So, your selection list would be able to see the Exchange instance if the license is loaded on your media server...is this the case? Can you see Exchange?
There should be a setting to allow the RAWS agent to automatically open up when logging on...not too sure on your version of BEWS, but it does show that on BEWS 11D and later.

Laters!

teiva-boy
Level 6
 Having Anything Veritas is bad.  And I mean that, in the way of that product is near 10yrs old.  It's not under support.  Anyone that still knows anything about it, is on life support or has passed away at this point.

It would really be ideal if you could get a newer version of Backup Exec.