cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange backup failed - 0xe000fed1

globe4me
Not applicable

Hi all, I've seen variants of this issue all over, but I'm not finding a solution so far.

Backup server running: Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (SP1) || Backup Exec 2012

Exchange server running: Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (SP1) || Exchange Server 2010

The backup gets to about 290GB (out of normally around 340GB) and then it fails and this is the error I'm getting:

Job Completion Status
Job ended: Friday, October 11, 2013 at 12:24:26 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fed1 - A failure occurred querying the Writer status.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65233

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Backup
V-79-57344-65233 - Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "\\LA-EX-1.globeintltd.com\Micros... Snapshot technology error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details. Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS...

I've disabled AOFO.

I've checked the VSS DLL's and they are all "stable" none of them showing errors.

I have rebooted the backup server and restarted services. Can't reboot the Exchange server today or this weekend.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

lmosla
Level 6

Hello,

Check for any errors in the Event log on the Exchange server during the time the backup ran.  If there are any then use the following document to identify the solution : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH209938  

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What is the status of VSS writers on the Exchange server? Try rebooting the Exchang server once and then run the backups.

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you took a look at the TN that lmosla posted in her response, it gives a comprehensive troubleshooting guide for VSS writers...including what you posted.

Please read previous posts before repeating information.

Thanks!