cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange backup question

AndyTh
Level 3
Hi,
I have a question related to the configuration of the Information Stores backup . Currently I'm backing up the Stores by selecting them using the Storage Group icons during the selection process. While I'm doing this I am also backing them up at the folder level during the system back up of the server.

My question is: Do I need to do this? Is it nessecary for me to back the EDB file at the folder level or is the Exchange backup selection enough for a proper recovery?

Thanks
Andy
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lyon
Level 5
In regard to backing up the edb file at the drive level you dont need to. There is a built in file exlusion to not back them up. You can test it out by selecting the priv.edb file and run a backup. It will report sucessuful with no byte count. By design.  The information store icon is they way you want to back it up.

In regards the individual backup of mailboxes.  It not required unless you get request to restore mailboxes or items.  In 11d you can backup the information store only and restore individual email items or mailboxs off an information store backup only.  10d and 9.1 you cant.

Lyon

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Alex_w
Level 3
I have a similar question and I guess I will just attach it here since it's almost the same question. I am in the process of modifying my Exchange 2000 backup routine a bit from what the previous system admin had setup before me. He was using Veritas to backup the D drive of the Exchange server as well as the Microsoft Information Store. He did not choose to backup the individual mailboxes. Having said that, is that a good idea? What is common practice? I saw an option when creating a new job where it mentioned being able to restore individual e-mails but I'm guessing that's only possible if you have the "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes" box checked, correct?

Alex

lyon
Level 5
In regard to backing up the edb file at the drive level you dont need to. There is a built in file exlusion to not back them up. You can test it out by selecting the priv.edb file and run a backup. It will report sucessuful with no byte count. By design.  The information store icon is they way you want to back it up.

In regards the individual backup of mailboxes.  It not required unless you get request to restore mailboxes or items.  In 11d you can backup the information store only and restore individual email items or mailboxs off an information store backup only.  10d and 9.1 you cant.

Lyon

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
As long as you have the correct agents installed (SQL, Exchange, Oracle etc), there would never be any need to backup the files.
For Exchange, I backup the Exchange Information  Store, System State, and the metaback folder found in C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv (for good measure).
Recovered an Exchange server using those 3...

Laters!