cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange backup to tape failing

John_Smith_6
Level 2
Hello All,

Backing up Exchange to disk (separate RAID array) completes without errors, but the duplicate backup to tape always fails with "The job failed with the following error: The backup of the item is bad."

This sounded like the problem described here (http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/285691.htm), but the hotfix mentioned hasn't solved this (installed everything available through Tools -> LiveUpdate, still hasn't fixed the error).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

sly_upah
Level 4
I also have this problem. HF 2,6,8, but still does not cduplicate the exchange backup to tape from b2d folder.

John_Smith_6
Level 2
Sorry to bump, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Antonija_Lousin
Level 2
Just thought i'd throw in my two cents worth. We are having the same issue here. We are running 11d, on WinSvr 2003 SP1. The exchange B2D is running without any errors, yet, when a B2T is run the following error is recieved:
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe2d - The backup of the item is bad.
Final error category: Resource Errors

Followed by:
V-79-57344-65069 - WARNING: "\\\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group\Mailbox Store ()" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.

However, one piece of interesting info is... BE displays the byte count up to 2.7Gb of a aprox 45Gb exchange db and then it does not update until the job fails a few hours later. But... when i go to look at what is on the tape that has just been writen too, with the job that failed... all the mailboxes and public folders appear, when i try to, i cant actually restore though. The restore stops where the byte count stops.

Any thoughts?!

Thanks in advance.

Antonija

Bj_rn_Halstad
Level 4
Employee
Hi,

You need to disable "Enable the restore of individual messages and folders from Information Store backups". The duplicates will now work. In the meantime untill a possible hotfix is produced check the retension setting of deleted items on the Exchange server also use Recovery Storage Groups if needed if the legacy Exchange agent is used (non aofo job).

Thanks,

Howard_Brown
Level 4
I am having the same problem, so...

Let me get this straight.

If you are using GRT, you cannot duplicate the job to tape. You have to use legacy backups instead, being left with doing brick-level and IS backups separately, like 10d.

OR, one could run two IS backup jobs, one that uses GRT, and one that does not, duplicating the one that does not.

Also...

I have about a 30GB Mailbox Store. I have a 500GB array that I purchased specifically to dedicate to CPS of Exchange -- however, regardless of how I set up CPS, snapshots are never deleted and it eventually just fills up the drive... Unless of course I reboot the media server, in which case "snapshots are deleted by an external source" i.e. VSS.

What gives?