cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange differential backup failed again and again.....

santoshpawar
Level 4

Hi,

I have Exchange 2010 install on the server without DAG.  My operating system is windows 2011 and backup exec version is 2010.  When I am taking full backup of exchange public mailbox store, it completed successfully.  However, same time if I take the differential backup job of the same mailbox stores, then it gets fails due to Exchange VSS writer failure.

If Exchange VSS writer is the issue, then how can my Full Backup is getting completed successfully???

I have removed the AOFO from backup job properties.  I try to take the backup after removing circular login option...but still no success.

Full backup job and differential backup job has the same selection list.

Can anyone plz provide me some solution on this issue??

Regards,

Santosh Pawar.

13 REPLIES 13

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Circular logging should be disabled if you want incr/diff backups & see if this KB helps -  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH194810

santoshpawar
Level 4

I have disabled the Circular logging and fired the differential backup job which got failed. Then I fired the Full backup job which completed successfully.

After successful completion of Full backup job of Exchange database immediately I fired the 'Diffrential backup job' which has again failed due to a writer issue.

What is after that??????

Regards,

Santosh Pawar.

VJware
Level 6

Can you post the job log pls & what is the state of the writers when you run command ~ vssadmin list writers post the backup failure ?

santoshpawar
Level 4

Exchange Vss writer is in failed state now...but my question is if Exchange VSS writer is the issue then wny my 'Full backup job' is getting successful????

And why only Differential is getting failed?

VJware
Level 6

There can be multiple reasons such as ~ interruption of the LSN between the full and diff, issue with transaction logs etc..

santoshpawar
Level 4

However, once I perform the 'Full backup job' successfully, then immediately within '30 second' if I am performin 'Differential backup job' then how can LSN number changes will affect on 'Differential backup job'???

VJware
Level 6

Any specific reason for taking a differential backup immediately after the full ?  Does the diff complete successfully , lets say when run after an hour ? And I did not mention this issue is "only" due to the LSN change, there can be other causes as well.

santoshpawar
Level 4

Full backup job ran on every Friday. And I am performing the differential backup job on remaining all the days.

Only Friday Full backup job is getting successful.  All differentials are failed.

So for testing a purpose, I create new 'Full backup job' for exchange, which is successful...and I fired the 'Differential job' immediately after 'Full backup job' to make sure this issue is not occurring due to LSN changes.

Still Differential is getting failed.  Furthermore, as I feel no need to run backup after an hour....because after 'Friday full' backup job, my 'differential job' ran on Saturday, which has already failed.

Is there another way we can analyze this issue?

VJware
Level 6

Enable live debugging via SGMon...enable job engine, raws, agent browser ; backup exec server ; device & media & capture to file...start sgmon before the differential backup & do not close it....once the backup fails, post the debug here.

santoshpawar
Level 4

Hi,

Please find the SGMon report in attached.

VJware
Level 6

@ Santosh

Do you see the same events recorded in the event viewer as outlined in the KB article posted earlier ?

santoshpawar
Level 4

Hi VJware,

I didn't find any event id from the article: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH194810

However, apart from that I have found below application VSS event ids:

8230, 16, 9607, 9705 and 9706.

I am getting above event ids when the differential backup job gets a start.

VJware
Level 6

Pls try this ~

Re-install the remote agent & reboot the server...once again, confirm circular logging is off & aofo is not checked in the backup job properties & pls retry the full followed by differential..