cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange doesn't restore individual mailbox

Mafiosi
Level 2

Hi,

I just saw all the comments regarding this issue. However, i found nothing relevant for my issue.

I have used GRT for the backup of my exchange. However, when i am trying to restore it, i cant seem to see
the individual mailbox per store. It just appear "NONE" on right panel of the restore window.

I am using Exchange Server 2003 and BE 12.5.  I am just new to this software and i am still exploring things out.

Anyone???

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

DR0701
Level 5
Hi

Are you backing up Exchange to disk or tape, as to use GRT for Exchange fully, you need to be backing it up to disk - backing it up straight to tape will only let you restore the Store as a whole.

Doug.

Mafiosi
Level 2
Yes, i am backing up directly to the tape. The is the same configuration i found where BE can restore individual mailboxes.  Is there hotfix that i need to install on my exchange?

Thanks.

BigQ
Level 4
If you are not using back up to disk you will need to restore the IMG file to disk first enable to recover just one message or mailbox. This is straight from the admin guide page 274:

"Backup Exec copies the entire backup set or
sets to the staging area. The staging area
must have enough disk space for the entire
backup set or sets from which you want to
restore an individual item.
Before you use a tape device for a
GRT-enabled backup, ensure that sufficient
disk space is available to perform a restore.
Backup Exec deletes the data from the
staging area when the restore job is
complete."

GRT is enable by default on the Exchange Agent so unless you turned it off all you need to do is restore the IMG file to a staging area on the disk from the tape first.

This is my understanding of how GRT works when you go straight to Tape with the IMG file.