cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange duplicate to tape fails every week

jerrys79
Level 4

Every Saturday, I do a Full backup of my Exchange server and then Incrementals Monday through Friday.  After the Full backup, I run a duplicate to tape job set to start immediately after the previous task completes.  The Full backup to disk is successful with no errors.  The duplicate to disk job always fails.  After it fails, if I manually choose to “run now” on the same failed duplicate to tape job, it will then be successful when it completes for the second time.  Here is the job log from the failed job:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000120d - An error occurred while accessing data in the Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) folder for this job. Some files in the backup set may be missing or they may be corrupted. Make sure that the following files are present and that they are not corrupted: pdi.txt and pdi_strm.bin. You can try to recover the files from a backup of the device itself. Otherwise, you can try to restore the data from another backup set. Check the job log for details.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-4621

Error 0xe00084af occurred trying to access the GRT folder at E:\... on device 'Disk Storage 0001'.

Duplicate- \\Exchange Server\Microsoft Information Store\Database1
Catalog Error

Duplicate- \\Exchange Server\Microsoft Information Store\Database2
Catalog Error

Duplicate- \\Exchange Server\Microsoft Information Store\Database3
Catalog Error

Duplicate- \\Exchange Server\Microsoft Information Store\Public Folder Database
Catalog Error

All my other backup jobs including AD GRT jobs using the same type of backup scheme (full, duplicate to tape, incrementals) are fine.  The referenced link, mentions using a Central Admin Server which we don’t use and under local server properties, the private cloud server option is set to disabled.  Our AntiVirus is Eset and it excludes all BE folders, services and the entire E: drive which is the disk storage path.  The GRT temp path under settings is set to E:\Temp.  We have had this in place for a few years and this only started happening last month after upgrading from BE 2010 to 2014 with the latest patches.  I will try totally disabling AV during this weekends backup but besides that I'm not sure what else to do besides backing up the Exchange server twice instead of duplicating it.

Any help you can provide will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lmosla
Level 6

This issue is addressed with Hotfix 217591 http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH217591  

If it has already been installed, try repushing out to your Exchange server.

another thing to try is to recreate the Backup job

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

lmosla
Level 6

This issue is addressed with Hotfix 217591 http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH217591  

If it has already been installed, try repushing out to your Exchange server.

another thing to try is to recreate the Backup job

jerrys79
Level 4

Hi Imosla, I didn't see this issue listed as one of the issues resolved in hotfix 217591.  I do have both 2014 hotfixes installed and all agents are up to date.  I have just recreated my backup job and have disabled AV entirely.  I will give that a try and if that fails, i'll do an uninstall and redeploy of the agent to the Exchange server over the weekend.  If neither of those helps, i'll open a support ticket.  Thanks for your help.

jerrys79
Level 4

Hi Imosla,

I ended up recreating my backup job and disabling AV and this worked.  Not sure which of the actions actually resolved it but glad to see it's working.  I've since enabled AV and i'll see after this weekend if it happens again.

Thanks for your help.