cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange job queues and does nothing, no alerts

TonyP4you4me
Level 4

I have four jobs. Two jobs run without issue, the third one failed and then the fourth one timed out.  I can't open those 2 jobs' log, get some error.  I see a mesage on the history that says e0008821 - Job was recovered as a result of Backup Exec RPC service starting.  No user action is required.
But I do not see this BE-RPC service anywhere.  

I tried running that 3rd job (the exchange job) to a scratch tape just now.  It queues and sits there.  No errors or alerts or events on either server.  The tape drive doesn't pull a tape from the library.  I can't cancel the job, turns out the BE engine service is frozen.  

I think this job causes that service to freeze in such a way that it doesn't crash out.  If I don't go in there every day to restart the servies, all jobs fail the following night.  What can I do to troubleshoot this? 

Tony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonyP4you4me
Level 4

I disabled GRT and the job is running.  Which is good enough because they are dumping anything with symantec's name on it at this point.  

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you using the R3 version of BE 2010 ? Recommend to use R3 and should be updated with atleast SP4.

Secondly, if running any AV, set it to exclude from scanning the BE processes.

What is the size of the BEDB (BE Database) in the Data directory and are there any files in the BEDBG directory ? (Both directories are under \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec)

Lastly, do ensure scheduled tasks such as Windows Updates, Exchange Maintenance does not conflict with any of the BE jobs schedule.

TonyP4you4me
Level 4

Since the job never runs, no matter what time I try to run it, why would you think there was a scheduling conflict? 

The AV we are running is SEP, and I know that's not conflicitng. 

The BEDB MDF file 23.8 MB and the LDF is 5.06GB. 
Yes, there are 4 files in the BEDBG folder: beserver.exe_1340_0.dmp dated ‎September ‎15, ‎2015, ‏‎1:41:21 PM, and pvlsvr.exe_2372_0.dmp, pvlsvr.exe_2372_1.dmp, pvlsvr.exe_2372_2.dmp all dated August ‎20, ‎2015, ‏‎11:26:29 AM.  
I have attached the beserver dump file.  

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

BEDB shouldn't be more than 4GB in size when using the default SQL Express.

First, run the query as per this KB - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH213643.html

The query is not specific to BE 2012 and can be applied to BE 2010 as well.

Then, run an extensive database repair as per https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.tech67239.html

These 2 KBs should help reduce the size of the BEDB.

Try then rerunning the job. If the job still doesn't start, then try recreating it. Lastly, what version of BE 2010 are you using ? What updates have been applied ?

TonyP4you4me
Level 4

Sorry that was a typo, the LDF is 5.06MB. 
Should I still run the repair on the DB? 

The query is a read only task, so I ran that.  I will hold off on the DB repair until I have more info. 

Dbld Field CurrentSize MinimumSize UsedPages EstimatedPages
5 1 2976 80 2848 2848
5 2 160 128 160 128

I have already tried to recreate the job from scratch with no improvement. 

Version 2010 R3, SP4, HF 212812
Live Update shows nothing available. 

TonyP4you4me
Level 4

I found errors in the system log during the time period between when the job last ran OK and when it started failing.  Some BSoD crash.  Looks like someone installed Windows updates too.  Not much more info. 

Does it make sense to run a repair install? 

TonyP4you4me
Level 4

I disabled GRT and the job is running.  Which is good enough because they are dumping anything with symantec's name on it at this point.