cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange mailboxes of domain admin users not included in backup

Tom_Steuver
Level 3

I am using Backup Exec 2010 R3 on Windows Server 2003 Standard with Dell PowerVault 124T tape changer.  I have Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 running on Windows Server 2003 Standard.  I have three users (including myself) with domain admin, enterprise admin privileges (full privileges).  All user mailboxes are backed up just fine and I can see all mailbox folders and emails in the backup list.  However, it does NOT backup the three users with full privileges.  The name is listed so it saw the mailbox there, but nothing is in the Inbox when trying to restore.  It is only these three mailboxes that are missing the content on the backup.

Any idea why these aren't being backed up?

14 REPLIES 14

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

They're in the same Information Store, correct?

Have you tried to create a new job and selection list to rule out any corruption? And I assume that your BE 2010 R3 media server has the latest SP and any subsequent patches installed, and that these have been push-installed to your remote servers?

Thanks!

Tom_Steuver
Level 3

They are in the same information store.  I have created a new job last week with the same results.  I am checking on the latest patches but it wasn't long ago I did an update on it and the remote servers.

Tom_Steuver
Level 3

Also, the backup jobs of the Exchange server are successful with no errors.

Tom_Steuver
Level 3

BE 2010 R3 is up-to-date with Service Pack 4.

lmosla
Level 6

Try duplicating the media from tape to disk and run the restore.

Tom_Steuver
Level 3

How do I go about doing that?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Read this article I wrote around it Tom:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Also make sure you're not using AOFO in your job when backing up Exchange. If you have too, split the data and Exchange from each other.

Thanks!

Tom_Steuver
Level 3

I will try it after tonight's backups.  Thanks.  I am not using AOFO and I am backing up the information store as a separate job from the files backup.

Tom_Steuver
Level 3

First of all, there is no Backup Tasks in Job Setup.  And how does this help me take an existing tape backup and duplicate it to disk?  I need to restore from a backup from last month for one of the users that the inbox is empty on the backup.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Are these admin users hidden from the global address list, or do they have non alphanumeric characters in the Exchange alias or display names

Tom_Steuver
Level 3

They are not hidden from the global address list.  They do not have non alphanumeric characters in their alias or display names.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Would these mailboxes typically have a bery large number of e-mails left in the inbox or are they housekept regularly?

Tom_Steuver
Level 3

They vary.  My inbox has little number of emails where another has a lot more emails in it.  There are other mailboxes that are much bigger that backup fine.

lmosla
Level 6

In addition to CraigV's link here is futher explaination of running a duplicate from tape to disk.   http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24544 try running the duplicate backup to tape and after the job is finished create the restore job and check to see if the mailboxes show.