cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange not freeing vss space

matt_fitch
Level 3

Greetings - I am using Backup Exec 2010 R2, SP1 to back up Microsoft Exchange 2010. I am using "System - Use Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider" as my snapshot provider. On the Exchange server (which is running windows 2008 R2 Enterprise), shadow copies are "Disabled". Backups work, but I recently discover that I have over 100 gigs of "missing" space - IE: Windows file explorer reports 464 gigs used, but the individual files and folders are only taking about 300 gigs of space.

When I right click on "Configure Shadow Copies" in windows file explorer, it reports that "next run time" is disabled, but shadow copies are consuming about 150 gigs on space. I'm assuming that Backup Exec is programmatically creating VSS snapshots. Unfortunately it seems that it is not cleaning up/deleting the snapshots after the backups finish running. How can I get BE to automatically clean up the snapshots?

Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I am not saying that this would solve your problem, but I would suggest that you upgrade to BE 2010 R3 which is the latest version and there are a lot of fixes in it. Your existing licence keys will work.  You can download BE 2010 R3 from either the fileconnect site or

http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

After your upgrade, do not forget to run LiveUpdate a couple of time to update it to SP2 and the latest hotfixes.

After you have upgraded to R3, push out the remote agent again.

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

To clear the space below can be helpful

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH83223

to view shadow copies vssadmin list shadows

to delete all SCC - vssadmin delete shadows /all

To know if its really a BE issue also try to use windows server backup to checheck if that also leaves snapshot but yes, as pkh pointed out upgrade to 2010 R3 SP2