cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange restore missing message body text

mjmartino
Level 3
Hello,

I just had to perform a restore of the mail store on an exchange 2003 sp2 database after our users lost all of there email. I only restored the mailbox store and not the public folders. It was restored from a full GRT backup to tape. After the restore it appeared to recover the messages but the next day we noticed that most of the restored messages had blank text body's and the attachments were empty files. I found an article http://support.veritas.com/docs/287227 that addresses this issue and even indicates that there is a hotfix for it however the current versions the article lists does not include my build of Backup Exec. 

I am currently running Backup Exec 11d revision 6235 sp3. My 1st question is, is there a hotfix for this issue for my version and if so where can I obtain it? If not are there any suggested methods on any other restore methods that Symantec can advise. If so any documents or guides to the procedure would be very welcome as I have only ever restored a mail store with the one method when using backup exec.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Matt
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
If you are on SP3 then you should already have the hotfix installed.  The hotfix was released for this before Service Pack 1, then rolled into SP1. Service Pack 3 includes all the previous hotfixes and service packs.

Have you updated the remote agent on the exchange server?  If not, I would suggest doing that then attempting the restore again.

If that still doesn't work you will most likely need to recover the entire store to a recovery storage group then extract the message(s) you are looking for.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
If you are on SP3 then you should already have the hotfix installed.  The hotfix was released for this before Service Pack 1, then rolled into SP1. Service Pack 3 includes all the previous hotfixes and service packs.

Have you updated the remote agent on the exchange server?  If not, I would suggest doing that then attempting the restore again.

If that still doesn't work you will most likely need to recover the entire store to a recovery storage group then extract the message(s) you are looking for.

mjmartino
Level 3
I went the route of the RSG and by passed the reinstall of the remote agent for now. I actually think it may be faster to restore this way. From tape to the IS it took about 3 hours to finish staging and then 11more hours to restore. Restoreing to the RSG took 36 minutes! I see no reason not to use the RSG...

Thanks for the help I will reinstall the agent after I finish the restore I currently have running. Any advice on how I can prevent duplicates? I am getting them even with the option to overwrite existing files and folders checked and I am unable to use a newer backup because I originally restored from the last backup set so...

Any ideas?