cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange writer error 0xe000fed1 - A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Support,

I have the following error when i try to backup Exchange DAG with BE 2010 R2. Each Exchange server is a virtual guest on Separate Hyper-V hosts.

I have done 4 successful Full backups before now. I change the storage location and now after a few days i get the following error when i try to do another backup.

V-79-57344-65233 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\MDAG.MOBOhq.local\Microsoft Information Store...

Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS...

After several reboots the issue still persists.

I have checked the forum and logged the case. I got similar error codes from Squirrels and Oskaremil, but their case was on Hyper-V and not on Exchange DAG.

I ran VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS and below are the writers with errors. Other writers are stable except the two below on each Exchange server.

On 1st Exchange server I have the below from a list of stable writers

Writer name: 'Microsoft Exchange Replica Writer'
   Writer Id: {76fe1ac4-15f7-4bcd-987e-8e1acb462fb7}
   Writer Instance Id: {c4e144e2-b5be-4ec1-b229-8d95a60da2d4}
   State: [7] Failed
   Last error: Retryable error

On 2nd Exchange server I have the below from a list of stable writers

Writer name: 'Microsoft Exchange Writer'
   Writer Id: {76fe1ac4-15f7-4bcd-987e-8e1acb462fb7}
   Writer Instance Id: {b6d1182f-590c-4910-b41f-aeb31102bbd0}
   State: [9] Failed
   Last error: Retryable error

For the first writer error 'Microsoft Exchange Replica Writer'I

I have done the below.

# Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\v14\Replay\Parameters.
# Add a new DWORD value named EnableVSSWriter, and set its value to 0.
# Exit Registry Editor and then restart the Microsoft Exchange Replication service.

I need to work around the second error 'Microsoft Exchange Writer'

I saw different cases online, some with Stable state but Retryable error, others with Failed state but No error.

None of the solutions for this 'Microsoft Exchange Writer' really meets my needs in this DAG environment.

Please help.

11 REPLIES 11

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

First things first...turn off AOFO for your job, and try it again.

You say you changed the storage location...of what? Where are you backing up too?

Thanks!

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Craig,

thank youfor your response.

I changed the Storage location from an External drive to a SAN storage cos of space limitation.

If i turn off the AOFO what would the effect be. What is the best practice for the using AOFO in Exchange DAG?

WHITE_EAGLE
Level 3
Partner

Selecting a product from above product selector may provide best solution,

Cause2: Microsoft Exchange replica writer may be in failed state on the active exchange node,TEH 139703/ Technical solution CMS-XML 

CraigV

well, it is recommended that you don't use AOFO when backing up databases as it is known to cause issues.

Turn it off and let BE handle how it backs up that information.

If you're backing up Exchange with data, consider splitting them off from each other. That way you use AOFO with your data allowing open files to be backed up, and Exchange without AOFO...

Turning it off is going to have no impact on Exchange, but MAY fix it...not a guarantee, but it is a start towards sorting out the error...

CraigV

???

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Craig,

I checked the DAG job properties and AOFO is not selected.

What else can i do?

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi White Eagle,

What do you mean exactly? Can you resend the document you are refering to.

Thank you.

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

my recommendation:

1. AOFO -> Leave it deactivated in your job properties

2. Exchange options -> Choose the option to only backup from the ACTIVE copy, otherwise mark job as failed

3. Restart your Exchnage Servers to reset the failed status of the writers

After these steps give it a try again.

best regards

Dominik

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi DominikG,

Thank you i'll give it a try.

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Dominik, Oskaremil, CraigV,

thank you guys for your support on the issue i had.

At the moment, the backup has run after i changed the selection in HA option to use the Active copy during backup. I restarted the exchange server and it started working.

I will confirm it completes and i hope not to get any errors.

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hello Nene,

any problems with the Backup till today, or does it work now and the problem is solved?